Chapter 17

A.N OMG guys, I'm so so sorry I didn't post on Wednesday, it was a hectic last week of school! So, last time Hoppo had some news for Ellie, what is it about?

Trigger warning-rape

Ellie's POV

I was so scared, all Hoppo said was that it was about mum.

I walked into Hoppo's office, and he looked just as pale as I guessed I was.

"Is it okay if Maxi stays?" Hoppo asked. I hadn't even realised he had walked in. I nodded, not really listening, as I was too busy panicking about what it could be about. I felt Maxi squeeze my shoulder reassuringly.

"Right Els bells, so as I said on the phone, it's about your mum." I felt Maxi tense up, and I nodded to Hoppo, telling him to continue.

"She contacted me yesterday, she wants to see you." I felt the colour drain from my face, and the tears flowing now.

"N-no. no! she can't. not after what she did to me!" I ran out Hop's office and onto the pavilion, I looked round for somewhere to go and ran down to the south end of the beach. I found a secluded spot among the rocks and cried, harder than I've ever cried before.

Maxi's POV

What? No! How dare that woman put Ellie through so much and just expect to turn up out of the blue and Ellie would want to see her. I saw Ellie run out of the office and me and Hoppo ran out after her. But we weren't fast enough. She was gone before we could spot her. I told Hoppo to go look north end of the beach and promenade, and I would check the tower and south.

I ran into the tower, "Where's Ellie? Have you seen her" I asked, tears threatening to spill. Chappo spoke up, "We saw her run down south, and we thought you were chasing her."

"Bra, you okay?" Jesse asked.

"I need to find Ellie." I said as a tear fell, "Someone call Hoppo, not on the radio!" I shouted as I ran down south. I approached the rhino there to see Beardy and Reidy.

"Guys, have you seen Ellie?" I asked, starting to worry now, as a few more stray tears fell.

"She ran behind us and into the rocks, we thought she was running from you, as you were an hour early." Beardy explained.

"Tell Hoppo where I am!" I shouted, running towards the rocks on the beach. I was so glad she hadn't gone up to the cliffs. As I approached, I slowed down and heard someone crying.

I walked closer to see Ellie, hunched up in a ball, on the floor, in full blown tears. I had never seen her in such a state. I bent down and wrapped my arms around her, pulling her close to me and stroking her hair.

"Ssh, it will be fine, she won't hurt you." I said, trying to soothe her.

"Maxi, she let her friends rape me!" she shouted bursting into fresh tears. I stopped stroking her hair then.

"H-how old?" I choked out.

"Nine, exactly a year after dad's death." She replied, very quietly. I let a few tears fall, and then anger built up inside of me.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked.

"I was ashamed of it. I have never told anyone about what happened, you're the first to know."

"What? Not even Hoppo?"

"No, I couldn't face it."

"You need to tell him."

"I can't, Maxi. I have struggled so long to stop the thoughts, the paranoia, and the nightmares. I can't relive it. I stopped having the nightmares about a week before I met you. Nothing else has stopped." More tears fell as a breathless Hoppo came running up. As soon as I saw him, I let go of Ellie so Hoppo could comfort her. I mouthed that I would tell him back in his office.