Seven

Who is Kiora?

"There is one father and twelve children; of these each

Has twice thirty daughters of different appearance:

Some are white to look at and the others black in turn;

They are immortal and yet they all fade away."

Kiora glared at me furiously. "I know that much!" She snapped. Her raven-black hair fell down on her shoulders, complimenting her deep, purple eyes.

I chuckled, smiling knowingly. We had been trading riddles along the walk. Her home was much farther than I expected, but the journey went fast; the girl was fun to mock.

"Please, Percy, tell me the answer," she pouted, jutting out her lower lip. Her features were harsh with a square jaw and dimpled cheeks.

"No," I frowned, ignoring her round eyes. "Figure it out," I decided, glancing away from the girl.

We had just passed into a low canyon. Large cliffs surrounded us, casting a shadow over the expanse of the valley. But there was something else.

Kiora playfully swatted Perseus' arms. "I hate you," she mumbled.

"No, wait," I breathed. Suddenly everything was quiet. Our quiet breathing filled the air, but there was something else.

A low, scraping noise, almost unnoticeable broke the peace. The scary part was, it was getting louder.

I drew my sword, Celestion, and my shield, Maros, bracing myself for impact.

With numbers more than any God could count, spirits raced towards us in a sudden roar. They covered the sky itself. They were all shaped like a human, but in addition, all of them had wings and some of them had horns. They were fair skinned like an angel in disguise.

"No!" Kiora shouted, stepping back towards me. Needless to say, her words didn't do anything.

I swung my blade, and from it, arcs of deadly lightning pushed the monsters back. Still, for every one I killed, two more replaced the fallen one.

I gritted my teeth. I couldn't hold them back for much longer. There was simply too much of them. I cursed under my breath; I felt my power draining.

Still, I managed to draw the last reserves of my power, slamming Maros into the Earth. A splitting crack broke through the valley. The sheer pressure forced the canyon to collapse on itself. The cliffs surrounding the canyon tumbled inward, killing thousands of spirits. It was a suicidal move, but death was on the horizon either way.

I looked up. A mountain was falling right above us. I exhaled, letting my weapons return to their gauntlet form. We couldn't run. It was too late. At least for me.

"Go!" I shouted, pushing the teenager forward.

She cried, scrambling away from the overwhelming shadow of the mountain.

I held back my tears, staring at her retreating figure. Dust flew into the air as the mountain broke into the canyon. The dust burned against Kiora's eyes. She blinked rapidly. All she could do was run.

Suddenly, the mountain froze.

I was holding it up, hopefully, long enough for Kiora to make it out the mountain's shadow. Only a few seconds in, I trembled. It stretched my muscles, emptied my resolve, and the impossible exertion was deadly.

I crouched down propping the weight on my shoulders. It was as if I was carrying the weight of the sky on my shoulders. Who could do such a feat?

No one. Not forever.