Chapter 19

Six months to the day that she signed her deal and entered San Joaquin County Jail, Katie stepped back out into the world. The sun was warm on her skin and she stood, eyes shut, enjoying that moment.

"What, two hours in the yard a day not enough for you?"

Katie opened her eyes to see Jax strolling across the street toward her. "Hi," she smiled at him.

"Welcome to the real world," he joked. "Hasn't been that long, I think you'll adjust pretty fast."

"Maybe not for you," she scoffed. "Six months for me was a lifetime."

Jax chuckled and nodded. "How are you?"

"I'm...okay," she shrugged.

"You look good," he remarked. "I was expecting more."

Placing her hand over her growing stomach she shrugged. "I know, I was pretty big with Charlie but showed late. This time I'm showing early but not as big."

"Kate," Jax said in a more serious tone. "Why didn't you put anyone on your visitor list?"

"Who wanted to come anyway?" She asked anxiously.

"Me and Charlotte," he said quickly then added, "Alec."

"Yeah, that's what I thought," she huffed. "I didn't want her to see me in there, to be honest. She's old enough to remember. No one else wanted to see me so what's the point?"

He swallowed hard. "Let me take you home, Charlotte's there with Ana and Alec now."

"Jax," she said as he moved to cross the street to his bike again. "How'd you know I was getting out today?"

"Six months," he said with a shrug.

"Alec tell you?"

"Thought he couldn't visit?"

"He couldn't but there were some calls and he's still my lawyer, he knew."

"He just confirmed it," Jax explained. "Can we go?"

"Why isn't he here?" Her voice cracked.

Jax's shoulders fell, "He's been up north, officially nomad but I heard he's spending a lot of time in Tacoma."

"His old charter," she said sadly. "Okay." Following him toward his bike she felt the happiness of freedom slowly wilting. "And Tara? She mad?"

"She's...annoyed," he tried to soften the truth but Katie figured it was worse than annoyance. "The lie pissed her off and she's always been kind of-"

"A stuck up, judgmental brat?"

He looked at her with furrowed brows. "She can be but you lied, you went behind our backs even after that custody shit was settled. The guy you killed," he said in a hushed tone, "That coulda bit me and Hap in the ass when we went to bat for you if they found out he was a client. Take the loss, Kate. She'll get over it but don't put it on her."

Taken aback by his scathing reaction, Katie simply nodded and tried to hold back the tears in her eyes. She got into the truck and was silent the whole way home. When Jax pulled into her driveway he locked the doors before she could get out.

"What?" She asked, looking straight ahead.

"Anything you need for the new baby, just ask. I  build shit, give you rides, take Charlotte, just call me."

Katie nodded. "Sure."

"You need anything now?" He asked, clicking the unlock button.

"No, thank you," she said curtly. "I appreciate the ride, Jax."