Chapter 7: Fair Fight

In a land of gods and monsters, I was an angel

I FINISH PITCHING MY TENT DESPITE THE aching pain in my arms and the fact that it was already dawn. I haven't even had the chance to sleep, much less check for a bruise, but I knew there was one. I pound the stick into the ground forcefully, taking out my anger on the poor wooden stake.

"Hey, what did that poor tree branch do to you?"

I turn and see a boy standing a few yards away from me. I easily recognize him as one of Bellamy's followers from last night. I roll my eyes and continue to hit the anchor. He crouches down beside me and helps keep the tarp straight. When I got it far enough into the ground, I turn to him and mutter a meekly, "thanks."

"My name is Atom," He says.

I nod curtly in acknowledgment. I stand up and start walking away—he follows.

"What's your name?"

"None of your business," I answer. I was pretty sure he already knows who I am.

He jogs until he was directly in front of me, blocking me from walking any further. "I saw that Murphy held you kind of roughly last night, just wanted to make sure you were okay."

I shrug my shoulders, "Fine."

Atom nods, looking me up and down. "I'm still sorry."

Feeling that he was being genuine, I sigh. "Why do you even listen to them?"

"Bellamy's a good guy," He states. I roll my eyes again. "I know... I know he comes off a little strong, but he's a good leader. That's what everyone around here needs."

"Not me." I push past him.

Atom lets out a breath and continues to walk with me. "You know, I think you'd make a good leader too, you'd keep him in check. I saw how you're not afraid to stand up to him. I can admit that he does sometimes get a little... chaotic. Just don't tell him I said that."

I chuckle. "Thanks but no thanks. I don't want to be a leader. Less so Bellamy Blake's keeper." Atom smiles at me. I stick my hand out to him. "Call me Kat."

Atom shakes my hand eagerly, his smile never leaving his face. We continue to walk together in no particular direction.

"So, why did you get locked up?" Atom inquires.

"As if you don't already know."

"I know what happened and what the Ark said to cover it up," Atom pauses. "I'd like to hear your version of it."

"Wouldn't you?"

We stop when we notice Wells coming out from around the back of the dropship. He was carrying a bundle of clothes and shoes in his arms.

"Hey," Atom calls out to Wells. "Where did you get those clothes?"

Wells looks up slightly startled not expecting for anyone to have noticed him. He looks between Atom and I with confusion pulling his thick brows together. After what felt like a long pause, he answers, "Buried the two kids who died during the landing."