Chapter 45

IT WAS NOT HARD TO PACK YOUR belongings when the only thing you had were the clothes on your back, a couples of makeshift knives, and a blanket

IT WAS NOT HARD TO PACK YOUR belongings when the only thing you had were the clothes on your back, a couples of makeshift knives, and a blanket. The first thing I packed was my father's letter—that went securely at the bottom of my bag.

I hitched the backpack on my shoulders and sighed heavily. Everyone in camp had already gathered near the gate. They chatted amongst themselves as they waited for the signal to move out and leave our home behind. I lingered near the back of the crowd, looking wistfully at the camp around me. The camp that had been my home the last few weeks. Oddly, despite everything that happened here leaving it behind made my chest ache.

Bellamy comes to stand beside me. He laces his fingers in my mine. I look down at our hands intertwined, the warmth his large hands brought comfort and eases some of my pain.

He sighs. "This is our home."

"My grandmother used to say that home wasn't a place. But, we built this ourselves, Bellamy. So much has happened here that... I don't think my grandmother knew what she was talking about."

Bellamy gives my hand a gentle squeeze.

Up ahead someone calls to start our migration. The gates open and everyone slowly spills out into the forest. Bellamy nudges me to follow, a sad smile on his lips. We walk hand and hand through the gate, my heart racing slightly. Once we had passed the threshold we both turn to give one last glance at the camp.

Clarke joins us then, noticing our hesitation. Her eyes flicker briefly to our hands, a small smile on her lips. "You did good here," she tells us, looking back at the camp as well.

"19 dead," I say glumly. I would never forget that number.

"82 alive. You did good," Clarke reassures.

I didn't feel like I had done much good. I had promised my father that I would protect our people. Yet, people still died, I started a war, and we were running from our home. I didn't say anything else to Clarke. I just let out a breath and started walking as to not fall too behind.

We made our way to the front of the crowd. Octavia was leading the group. She knew the woods better than anyone. She had also been the only one to see Lincoln's map. I was hyper-vigilant. Constantly looking around us as we walked. Others didn't seem too concerned about lurking grounders.

"You know the first thing I'm gonna do when we get to the beach?" Miller asks aloud.

"No. What?" Drew responds, curious.

"I want to go surfing."

"Quiet," Jasper hisses. "Keep your eyes open."

I sigh, trying to drown out Miller and Drew's chatter to focus on any sounds coming from the woods. It was kind of difficult when they were talking so loudly.

"No more woods. A view of the ocean. No more damn trees, just pale, blue water." Drew smiles to himself.

I couldn't deny that the thought certainly was appealing. In theory. I loved the water, it was something that always fascinated me, even back on the Ark I dreamed of learning how to swim. Of floating on the water. Living by the beach.