Chapter Ten

When the capital came into view, Leanne stopped and told Eldon she wanted to change into something more suitable. Eldon didn't question what she meant as she walked off and hid behind a wide tree. She returned wearing a simple white dress with a red bodice, and she'd switched her single braid for two.

Leanne spread her arms out and smirked. "Do I look more presentable?"

"It ain't like you didn't before," he assured her. "But yeah. That looks really nice on you."

"Good answer. Yer not so hopeless, then." She snickered to herself and lowered her voice as she added, "Maybe you won't need my help."

Eldon raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"Hmm?" She tilted her head—a tactic she'd perfected a little too much over the years. Yeah, it didn't matter if he'd heard her loud and clear. She wouldn't admit it, anyway.

He sighed. "Never mind. Let's just go and get this over with."

They walked the rest of the way there and were halted at the town entrance. Eldon glanced up at the guards staring down at them, and he grimaced at the bright sun blurring their images. He squinted and shielded his eyes with his hand, finally making out the face of Sir Aaron.

Sir Aaron's expression softened like he too finally recognized Eldon. He turned to his comrade, murmured something Eldon couldn't hear, and then they nodded at each other. Aaron glanced back down at Eldon before moving away and climbing down. A moment later, the gate was opened.

Leanne scratched her head. "What was that 'bout?"

Eldon shrugged and felt his body go a little rigid when Aaron appeared on the other side, staring right back at him. Many of the people here had stared at Eldon enough times for him not to feel fazed, anymore. However, since he couldn't exactly tell what kind of expression Aaron wore, he couldn't look him in the eyes.

Aaron's dark blue eyes appeared darker than usual. They were always dark, like he drew on kohl on his lower lids every morning. But there was something off about them today.

Eldon almost scoffed at his own thoughts. There was something off about them today? Like he'd been here the past few months to notice a real difference.

"Eldon," Sir Aaron stated, lips twisting into a boyish grin.

Eldon exhaled in relief and nodded once.

"Apologies, but we must ask you to hand over your weapons."

"What?" Leanne gasped, reaching back for her bow.

"It'll only be for a moment while we search your belongings to ensure you aren't here with bad intentions." Aaron sighed. "New protocols from His Majesty. It does not matter whether I trust you personally or not." He searched Eldon's face. "You do understand, right?"

On Elouise's birthday, Eldon remembered being stopped and questioned when he arrived. Until the guard recognized him, that is. He guessed he wasn't surprised the security had tightened even more since then.

"Fine." Eldon unsheathed his sword and held it out to Aaron. He then side-eyed Leanne and saw her deflate before following suit with her bow and quiver.

Aaron thanked them and ordered his comrades to search through everything. Snow started backing away, but Eldon urged her to stay still. She snorted and obeyed, and he couldn't help snickering when he noticed her glaring at the guard nearest to her.

After the search ended, the other guards returned to their post while Aaron stayed behind.

"So, what brings you to Starset?" he asked Eldon.