Chapter Thirty-One

Elouise stood with her hands behind her back, waiting patiently outside Fayre's bedchamber. She wanted to walk with Fayre, needing the comfort of her presence before supper. She was to meet with Eldon afterwards. What she prepared to talk to him about felt daunting.

Well, the first part certainly would be. She hoped that, once the conversation was over, the request she had for him would be enough to ease the tension.

She started bouncing on the tips of her toes. Fayre was taking an awfully long time to exit.

"Your Highness?" a kind voice addressed.

Elouise turned, finding a young maid—Alice—approaching her. She was new and one that'd been assigned to Ivy, even though Ivy insisted she didn't want anyone waiting on her.

"Good evening, Alice," Elouise greeted her, smiling faintly.

"Are you looking for Lady Fayre?"

"Yes, I am."

"She hasn't returned yet."

Elouise blinked twice. She looked at the door, then back at Alice. "She left?"

Alice nodded. "Nearly an hour ago. She mentioned going to see her father and to not expect her back until morning. I suppose she plans to stay with him overnight."

"Ah, she hadn't mentioned that to me." Elouise glanced at the door again, feeling foolish that she hadn't even bothered to knock. Who doesn't knock first? She'd assumed Fayre was there, though... like she always was.

Elouise mustered another smile and thanked Alice. The maid curtsied and went on her way.

With no more reason for being here, Elouise frowned and walked away. She kept her head down to avoid eye contact if she passed anyone.

Once she reached her destination, she looked up and gasped upon seeing her father. Despite Eldon's efforts, the recovery was still prolonged. Her father finally woke on the second day and described feeling anew to Dr. Rolfe. Even so, Dr. Rolfe advised him to remain in bed and not to worry about anything for a few more days. A precaution in case her father became ill again.

That never happened, though.

Her father's health improved with each passing day. But once Dr. Rolfe told him he could leave his bedchamber, her father only went as far as his study. He took his meals and meetings there as well.

Elouise had gone to see him occasionally. Although her father had reverted to his normal behavior, she wasn't too disappointed. After all, his aloof attitude had been the result of Godwin's doing, and Elouise didn't mind getting rid of every little thing that had to do with him.

Unfortunately, however, her father being himself again meant disdain toward Eldon.

Elouise had tried speaking to her father about the deal he'd made with Eldon, partly hoping he would say great things about Eldon again. Instead, her father merely murmured responses she couldn't understand. Then he switched the topic to something else entirely. She had also attempted to ask him questions about his "final" day, which he also avoided. Elouise could only assume he felt ashamed of how he'd behaved and knew he couldn't do anything to change what'd already been done... specifically with Eldon.

She eventually stopped asking altogether.

This was the first time her father had left his wing. Elouise made her way over to him, and he beamed upon noticing her.

Elouise took his arm. "I pray this means we'll all be seeing you around more often?"

"Yes," he answered, walking her into the great hall. "I think I have rested enough. How are you this evening, darling?"