Chapter Forty-Three

No matter what Udolf tried making Beauty do, she was far more interested in Eldon than obeying any foolish trick her master commanded.

And Eldon was too entertained by this, but he covered his mouth whenever he wanted to snicker. Beauty made it especially easy for Eldon to grow fonder of her when she eventually came to lie beside his feet and stare up at him with the most innocent gaze he'd ever seen.

Surprisingly—and fortunately—Udolf seemed impressed by this.

"I'd never seen a wolf so attached to a human," he commented at some point, circling around them. "Did you know Her Highness' family name means wolf?"

Eldon barely paid attention to him as he kneeled and scratched Beauty behind her ears. He faintly smiled when she leaned in closer and nuzzled his face. He thought about his previous experiences with wolves. For some reason, these animals liked him—a fact that has had him rescued by them on numerous occasions.

Lucky me, he thought.

Udolf finally halted in front of them. Eldon glanced up at him, finding him smirking down at him in a way that confused him. But neither said anything more, because a guard came rushing in and whispered into Udolf's ear. Whatever it was, it had Udolf clenching his jaw and furrowing his eyebrows—completely wiping away any hint of friendliness Eldon had witnessed during this time.

The guard took a step back, awaiting instructions. Udolf waved him away, quietly saying, "I will take care of it." So, the guard bowed his head and briskly left.

Eldon stood upright, and Udolf put on strained smile.

"Apologies, Eldon," he spoke, "but I must leave and attend to a few matters now. I will see you for dinner, yes?" Then he gestured toward the door. Eldon made his way out and glanced back when he heard a small whimper from Beauty.

"Oh, she already misses you," Udolf mused.

Eldon decided against responding and went on his way, partly relieved that he no longer had to be alone with this man. He passed through the streets, keeping his attention focused on the ground until he reached the main area where the market was held.

A female merchant nearest to his right kept laughing at the bargains a traveler attempted to make with one of her items. Eldon didn't want to be nosy, but he inclined his head to see what the boy was holding. It was a small metal brooch of a butterfly with two little blue sapphire stones on its wings and five other ones down its body.

The boy gave it one final try. The woman didn't budge.

"What is the point of selling this if you will not sell it?" the boy questioned.

"I allow my items to depart with those who are worthy of them."

"How am I not worthy?"

"Because I sense you are a fool."

The boy grumbled something and set the brooch down. He stomped away like a child after an argument with their parents. Eldon beamed at the brooch and steadily approached the merchant's table.

"Ah, I see that you are also interested in that," the woman spoke, and he could feel her cold eyes looking him over. "Hmm, maybe you'll do."

Eldon scrunched up his face and met her gaze.

She laughed lightly and picked up the brooch. "You have someone who comes to mind when you see this, yes?"

Elouise unexpectedly crept into Eldon's thoughts, and the twitch of his lips was enough to answer the woman's question.