Chapter Forty-Six

Henry knocked three times on his cousin's door.

Then he knocked a little louder in case she hadn't heard those first three times.

Still, Ivy didn't answer.

Elouise then offered to go inside and check while Henry and Eldon stayed out in the corridor. As they waited, Henry considered commenting on the interior (specifically the odd design of the candle holders that looked like tusks) when Elouise came rushing back through the door and informing them of Ivy's absence.

Henry wanted to slump to the floor and give up, because this horrid day had dragged on and on. Now the night was even worse, and he wanted it all to end already. Before he could slide down the smooth adobe wall, Eldon grabbed him by his bicep, keeping him up.

"I think I may know where she is," Elouise told them, moving to stand beside him, and touching his shoulder. "You may not like it, though."

Henry scrunched up his face. "What is it?"

"Eldon informed me that Ivy wanted to go... hunting for dragons. If Udolf and I were able to hear one nearby, then..." she dropped her gaze, but it wasn't difficult deciphering her meaning.

Ivy had most likely heard it, too.

"Guess she got her wish," Eldon remarked, letting go of Henry.

"I cannot believe her," Henry said to himself. Except he could. He absolutely could. Because of course, the worst day ever had to end with his cousin sneaking out of her room in search of a ferocious beast that—if found—would likely not show her any mercy.

But with that last thought, Henry jumped away from the wall, saying, "We have to go after her." He searched Elouise's eyes. "Which direction did you hear the beast?"

She pointed to her right.

"We can sneak out through the tower," she suggested, and Eldon was already making his way down the hallway before she even finished her breath.

Henry and Elouise hurried after him.

As they ascended the stairs, Henry kept accidentally bumping into Elouise and murmuring apologies. But after about the tenth time of this, she shuffled out of the way and told him to go ahead of her. He felt grateful for the darkness because his face was probably crimson.

Once outside by the bridge, Henry watched in disbelief as Eldon crossed the unsteady wooden planks with ease. Despite this, he decided to go next. However, he retracted the second it wobbled uncontrollably beneath his weight.

"Oh... oh, no," he whispered. Then he flinched when he felt Elouise link her arm with his. He turned his head, facing her.

She smiled at him. "We can go together, Henry. It will be alright. It's really only frightening the first time."

Henry pursed his lips and nodded. With her at his side, lightly pulling him along and purposely distracting him by explaining how beautiful the sea was at this hour, Henry didn't notice how long it took them to make it to Eldon.

Elouise released him and clapped her hands together. "All done. That was not so horrible, was it?"

Henry peeked over his shoulder, seeing the bridge still swaying from the movement. "Ah... yes," he lied. "It wasn't."

"I'm climbin' up first," Eldon announced as he stepped onto the stacked wooden crates. It reminded Henry of the ones Ivy had used at the back of the town the day Victor arrived. She had been listening to the dragons that day, too...

Henry gulped, his throat feeling tighter.

Please be safe, Ivy. Please be alright.

Eldon instructed Elouise to climb up next. Henry stood near in case she slipped. After her, he went. After pulling himself through the window and standing upright next to his friends, he realized how high up they were, and he pressed his back against the tower's roof, his palms getting clammier by the second.