Chapter Forty-One

Elouise was closely followed into her guest chamber by her father, Fayre, and Gidget. She walked ahead to the small window across the room and stared out at the nearby workers below who were tediously trimming the tall shrubs. She was not interested in watching; she merely couldn't bear to look over her shoulder and see that infamous scowl on her father's face.

"Do you mind explaining what that display was about?" he questioned her.

Elouise rolled her eyes and folded her arms across her chest. If he expected a response, he wouldn't receive one. What'd occurred was plain and simple: he had been rude to her friend, and she had defended him.

"Elouise," her father jeered.

Elouise ignored him.

"Elouise," Fayre then tried, a calmer approach that made Elouise at least glance at her.

Nothing else was voiced for another moment. Then her father huffed and said to Fayre, "She will not speak to me. Perhaps you can talk some sense into her about how she needs to behave when we are guests in someone else's home." With that, he exited the room, slamming the wooden door behind him.

Gidget also excused herself.

At last, Elouise turned away from the window. Fayre gestured to the bed, indicating that they should sit and thoroughly talk about this.

Elouise held her ground. "There is nothing to discuss, Fay."

"Fair enough. I merely assumed things had improved between you and your father."

"They have. However, I am not going to allow him to insult someone close to me. How does he expect me not to be angered by that?"

"You're upset by many things right now, Elouise, especially because of the threats from Arnold and his group's constant attacks. As we've talked about before, you cannot let your rage get the better of you."

Elouise spread her arms out. "Do you see a fire starting, Fayre? My rage does not affect my magic as easily anymore."

"That may be so, but that does not mean you can simply lash out like that."

Elouise opened her mouth again, considering restating (again) why she had done that. Then she realized the last thing she wanted to do was argue with Fayre. Fayre had been around more in the past few days than she'd been in the past few weeks, and Elouise worried their time together was limited. She didn't want to spoil it like this.

If all went well, Elouise would be the one to disappear next. She had no idea when she and Eldon would return either. Part of her was tempted to tell Fayre about this for the sake of not having her worry too much. Fayre would only convince her not to go, though. Truly, she was the one person who could turn Elouise against her own idea.

Elouise made her way over and finally plopped down on the bed. Fayre sat beside her, and Elouise took the opportunity to rest her head on her shoulder like she used to when she was younger—whenever she would feel defeated and alone. Actually, it was quite similar to how she'd been feeling since Fayre started slipping away.

So, when Fayre wrapped an arm around her and made her realize how badly she needed Fayre's comfort, Elouise mentally apologized. She was going to spoil their time together after all.

"Now is the worst time to ask," she began, "but I must ask, Fay." She turned her body, facing her better. "Where have you been?"

Fayre blinked and stared at her incredulously.

Elouise continued. "Do not deny anything, Fayre. Your prolonged absences are very unlike you. You are distancing yourself from everyone, especially me. You've never done that before. What has changed?" And the look on Fayre's face shifted to a painful remorse. Elouise nearly switched the topic, despising that she was the one who'd caused that guilt to come forward.