Chapter 5

A/N Ashton's dog tags^^^

Ashton's POV

His room was huge. It had cream colored walls and a walk-in closet.

I want one of those. I need it more than he does.

He had already moved his bed in, it was a queen with black and white covers. Simple enough, I thought. It looked like everything was already in here.

"Hey what do you need help with?" I asked. "It looks like everything is already in here." He turned around to face me and said, "I figured you could help decorate it. I'm not great at that." he replied.

I put my hand t my chest and pretended to be surprised.

"The great Jett Stone? Not good at something? Oh my gosh it's a miracle!" I chuckled. He raised an eyebrow at me and said, "Are you admitting that I am great at everything?"

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "If you were so great at everything, you wouldn't need a girl to slap you to get you out of a fight." I raised an eyebrow at him in challenge.

"I'm sorry about what happened at your locker. I didn't know he had passed away. I'm sorry you had to go through something like that. No one deserves that." He said in a small voice. He looked up and I could see it in his eyes that he meant it.

"It's okay, I guess. You didn't know." I said.

"Can I ask who the other one is for?" He asked, gesturing to the dog tag that had my brother's picture on it.

"It's my brother's. He passed at the same time my dad did, same battle actual. It was supposedly a sneak attack on the camps in Iraq and no one saw it coming. There weren't many survivors." I said. "Me and my brother used to play in the park down the road. It was our favorite place to get out of the house when we were in trouble or something. This picture was the most recent one we took when we were there. It was three weeks before he died." I finished. 

I had a small smile on my face when I felt his fingers on my chin. He brought my face up to his.

"I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Not only one but two family members. I can't even fathom that. You of all people didn't deserve that." He slowly started to lean in.

Is he going to kiss me?!

I could feel his short breaths on my lips. They smelled like mint and coffee. Our lips just brushed together when my mom called me down.

"Ashton come on! You'll be late for school!" I jumped back from him with wide eyes and for a second he looked almost disappointed. No that can't be it.

"Coming mom!" I turned around and sprinted down the stairs. I grabbed my backpack from off of their couch and ran out of the door and ran to school, my brain foggy with so many thoughts.

Was he gonna kiss me?

Was I gonna let him kiss me?

Does he like me?  Oh God no, definitely not.

But do I like him?

No. I can't. That boy has heartbreak written all over him.