Chapter 21: Competition Day

Flashback:

I slid down and sobbed in my hands. I stayed there for a second. "Sorry, I'm sorry." I told Nick. I know it hurt him to say Josh's name. I grabbed my shirt and ran out of the room and I could here Nick cursing. I left the house and bumped into Chloe. "Maddie, are you ok?" she asked with a concerned look. " I think I sprained my ankle." I lied. "Nick said the party was over." I sobbed. "Do you need help, is there anything I can do?" she asked. I thought about it. I was going to say no, but I really needed a friend. I feel like now there's no one I could trust. "Is it possible for me to stay at your house?" I asked. She nodded and I put my shirt on. We arrived at the house. She got the her house keys and opened the door. Her house was so big and wonderful. We went into a mini home theater and watched movies with clara. Pitch Perfect was playing when... "Mads, what really happened?" Chloe said. "What do you mean?" I asked nervously. "Maddie your not a good liar, Nick would have never let you walk home with a sprained ankle, he wouldn't even let you walk home alone." she said. She's right, at the time I wasn't thinking about anything. I didn't plan it well. " It was nothing important really." I said in a shakey voice. She gave me a slow nod. I was so relieved,  I thought she would ask me a thousand questions. We watched The Lorax and Frozen. I  slept over at Chloe's the rest of the night then went home in the morning. It was finally competition day, and the connection I had with Nick was destroyed. Everything we worked for was gone.

Present:

We were about to walk. I needed to do something to get Nick to just look at me. He's been avoiding me the whole bus ride and in the green room. I took Nick's hand and led him out of the green room. "What?" he asked in a low, shy voice. "Nick I am so sorry...." I said then Nick said, " You can't do anything to get things back the way they were." Nick said. We were about to go on. I could pretend to connect with Nick, but I don't think Nick could hide his feelings. So I  bounced onto my tip toes and kissed him. It was a long kiss, and it might have meant everything to him, but to me it meant nothing. I pulled away and there was a shocked expression on his face. "I want to be your girlfriend," I lied "but we have to keep it a secret." I finished. He gave a smile, but it quickly faded. "but yesterday you, you turned me down." he whispered. "Nick I don't want you to change,  I liked you way before you did that." I smiled.

NICK'S POV

Maddie kissed me! I was speechless. She wanted to be my girlfriend, but I had to keep it a secret. That never works out, but..........

MADDIE'S POV

Nick smiled then kissed me again. I felt bad, because Nick was trying so hard for me to like him, and he's so happy right now. Nick walked in and I followed. It was time to go on stage.