Heartache

Liam's POV

            My breathing grew heavier, and my senses grew numb. I couldn't hear anything but her poisonous words stabbing my heart. I turned the steering wheel barely noticing the wall in front of me on time. Ugh! I sighed. Maybe this is my chance to let go of Sara, that is, if I can ever let go of her. I could feel my throat stuffed with tears I tried to hide. I took a deep breath trying to clear up my throat but the pain was too much for me to handle. I was acting childish. The girl doesn't want me. She never thought of me this way. Love never works when it's one-sided. But why can't my brain accept that she doesn't love me? Why do I feel so breathless when the thought crosses my mind? Why does it have to be so hard, so hard to imagine my life without her? God! I really need to stop thinking!

            I was always afraid to face her with my love. I was afraid she might not feel the same, but my mind always brushed the thought away. It never stayed for long. Other thoughts haunted me instead. I'd imagine her in the most beautiful white dress with flowers scattered everywhere. I'd imagine standing at my parent's doorstep as my hand intertwines with hers a wide smile on both our faces before I ring the bell. I'd imagine coming back home from work frustrated but relax upon seeing a look from her eyes. I'd imagine staring into the little caramel eyes of our first baby. I'd imagine an old, more beautiful version of her handing me a cup of my favorite hot chocolate in the winter without even having to ask for one. But today, all my hopes and dreams were shattered by only one word: brother.

            I parked my car in front of the park. Why did I even come here? I used to come here when I got exhausted and needed some time off. I would always relax and find some power to go on with my life. Today, on the contrary, this place is making me feel even worse. I walked to the edge of the fence smelling the air that was suffocating me. I glanced at my back, and it was still there, the bench that Sara and I sat on many times through the past years. I took a few steps towards it and sat on the bench. My palm softly brushed the wooden thing trying to sense any remains of the good times. My mind wandered to the first time I introduced Sara to the place

"Where are you taking me?!" Sara grumbled.

"Somewhere so we can have a conversation like adults," I replied.

"Excuse me?! Are you saying I'm not an adult?!" she yelled.

"No, I'm just saying that you're being childish," I said. "We're here."

            It was the first time we go out together, and even though it was just to reach a settlement, my heart was fluttering with enthusiasm. Sara was very angry but I just went on acting as calm as I could. We stood in front of the lake leaning on the fence.

"Can you please find me a solution with that grandmother of yours?!" Sara said exploding from the suffocating silence.

I completely ignored her trying to capture the moment. "The first time I came here was almost at this time of the day. The sun was disappearing behind the skyscrapers, and its reflection was stunning. Isn't it amazing that I can finally share this beautiful scene with someone?"

"Liam! We didn't come here to watch the sunset!" she yelled.

"Fine, fine, but the scenery is very beautiful, isn't it?" I smirked.

"Yes! You happy?" she grumbled.

"You know why I got you here?"

"I would love to know!"

"So you can calm down, Sara! So please do."I sighed, "I always come here to relax, and I thought you needed to chill a bit before we have our talk," I said.