Chapter Twenty-Three ~Aidan~

I looked up from the counter and met her eyes, which were already fixated on mine. Flames immediately welled up inside of me and licked the insides of my cheeks. The burning sensation refused to go away as she slowly walked up to me.

                “J-just one today?” I tried to stay professional. I stuttered when I saw that her eyes flicked from my eyes to the fresh pink scar on my face.

                “Yeah,” she said, pulling out the stool that was directly across from me. “I never knew you worked he-“ Her phone rang, interrupting her. “Sorry, I should take this.” She answered, not bothering to get up and walk to the door to make it more private.

                I grinned at her and walked over to one of the small families in a booth. I was kind of relieved she answered the call, until I realized it was Jay.

                “Jay,” she laughed, “that’s so not true. Just wear whatever. It’s cold out though.” She laughed again, “Love you too, bye.”

                My stomach lurched.

                “Still just one?” I asked, praying it was still just her. I needed to warn her now, before it was too late.

                “Yeah, sorry that was my boyfriend.” I stiffened.

                “Oh yeah? What’s his name?” I tried to ask casually.  

                “Jay, do you know him?” She said, looking me over.

                “We’ve met.” I avoided her eyes. I was afraid her eyes would drag the truth out of me, and the truth would push her away.

                “Really? Are you close? Because I mean, we could all go…”

                “No.” She sat back in her seat, surprised at my sudden response. “I just met him like once at school. I doubt he’d even recognize me,” I lied.

                “Oh…” she seemed disappointed, but only for a moment, “So you go to Lincoln Co., too?”

                “Yeah, so what would you like?” I tried to get off the topic of school and Jay.

                “No way! Maybe I’ll see you around,” the smile she portrayed made my pulse race. “I’ll just have a sandwich. Are you as good as Dale at reading people?” She leaned closer to me and grinned, arching her eyebrows in a taunting kind of way.

                I leaned in, reflecting her taunting look in my face, and propped myself up on my elbow. I didn’t think before the words came out. I whispered to her, “He didn’t hire me for nothing.” Actually he hired me because I didn’t have a place to stay and he was like a father to me. It was out of pity, not skill.

                She smiled and leaned back on the stool. “I’ll have a Coke, too,” she added as I turned toward the kitchen. I quickly passed her a glass of Coke and went into the kitchen, ignoring her devilish smile.

                Now what? Chicken? Beef? Ham? What if she’s allergic to ham? The last thing I need is to send her to the hospital. How would she trust me then? I need to tell her, to warn her now. Today.

                I absent-mindedly threw ham, cheese, lettuce, and several other things on bread and layered a pickle and some chips on the side. I took the plate out to her and slid it across the counter. It didn’t go quite as smoothly as I planned, almost knocking her Coke on her lap in the process. Lucky for me, she intercepted the plate before it had the chance.