Chapter Thirty-Three ~Alexa~

“Hey,” he said casually. “Would you mind having your goon here let me in?” Brendan handed me my Coke, staring across at Jay.

“Do you know him?” His silver eyes glinted with concern.

“Yeah, he’s my boyfriend,” I said, watching the lights dance across his dark figure. Dani sent margarita flying across the table.

“What?” She turned toward me as Brendan gestured toward the security guard, who reluctantly stepped aside. Jay strode over, resting his forearms on the top of the couch next to my head.

“I got your text.” He leaned in so close that his lips brushed my jaw as he talked. “I figured you shouldn’t be alone tonight.” I glanced over at his sly smile, just in time to catch Dani tensing. You’d think she was made of stone. He matched my glance, meeting Dani in a firm-held death stare. The room almost felt colder from the ice that seized both of them. I had the sudden urge to construct a wall between them before they could kill each other.

“Jay was it? I just got drinks, would you like something?” Brendan moved between the hold of their eyes.  

“No, thanks.” Jay halfheartedly shifted his gaze to Brendan. Dani crossed her arms and sat back into the plush cushion of the couch. The black upholstery molded around her shoulders, making the edges of her body appear hazed and foggy, like she was materializing out of the couch. In a matter of moments, Jay had found an open spot next to me, jolting my body upwards as he sat down on the cushion. His fingers explored just above my knee, sending fire pulsating through my body in rhythm with his touch.

“Well, I’m going to go flirt now that both of you have boyfriends to keep you busy.” Dani pushed herself off of the couch, avoiding any eye contact with me or Jay, and eased her way onto a bar stool across the room from us.

“What was that?” My lips brushed his ear. He shifted, cradling me against him. His heat seeped into my skin, igniting a flame in my chest. His dark eyes examined me.

“Nothing, we’ve just met before. I didn’t expect to see her here.” His eyes stayed soft even though his voice was hardening.

“Obviously,” I murmured into his shoulder. I suddenly wished we were alone. His laugh rumbled in my ears, through his chest.  

“What?” I demanded, pulling away from him.

“I just didn’t think you were the dress type. It looks nice.” His fingers traced the hem of the fabric. My skin burned, waiting to be cooled by his touch.

“I didn’t think you were the fancy jacket type. It looks nice.” I mimicked his tone, noticing the dark cashmere jacket lacing his figure for the first time. I let my fingers slide the fabric off of his shoulders. He took my wrists in his hands. My heart raced, drowning out everything but him, everything but his touch, his love.

“This is a club! Why aren’t we dancing?” Dani shouted, heading toward the stairs. Her hands were locked around the wrists of a hesitant bartender being pulled along behind her.

I barely had time to laugh before being pulled to my feet. Jay twined his fingers through mine and slid his hand around my back. I let my body mold to him. His eyes flicked to my lips before he led me down the stairs.

“Where are we going?” I shouted at him, my excitement boiling inside me.

“Dani’s right, clubs aren’t for sitting.” He turned to me, stepping out on the edge of the dance floor. His hand was soon extended to me. “May I have this dance?” I grinned, taking his hand. I let the bass take over, vibrating my chest, moving my limbs. I let the music swirl through me; energize me, just as we swirled through the bodies around us. I glanced over at Dani through the crowd. The bartender wasn’t so hesitant anymore. I watched as they held each other, examined each other, and laughed together at how horrible of a dancer he was. I was amazed at how easily she’d gotten him, how easily he’d fallen for her.