Chapter Twenty-Nine ~Aidan~

I cranked the heat. It was amazing how quickly the temperature could drop in a half an hour. I rubbed my arms. I had to go home. There was no way my blankets were going to hold up much longer.

                Not today; I’m not giving in today. She won’t win, not yet.

                My mother’s words rang through my head. Where do you think you’re going? I told her I was leaving, that I couldn’t stay any longer. She laughed at me. And how are you going to take your bed and dressers with you? Face it; you’ve got nothing but the clothes on your back and a couple of dollars. Go ahead, but you’re not going to last long. She left. I didn’t. Not until a month later. I couldn’t take it anymore.

                I pulled out of the parking lot. I wondered where the couple was now. I wondered where Alexa was. I knew she was safe, but I couldn’t shake my paranoia. It controlled me. Layla’s death controlled me. It hovered over me like a balloon; you can let it go to float away, but you know it’s out there somewhere. It never really goes away.

                I let several cars pass me; I preferred to be behind people. I wasn’t a leader.

                I pulled the truck behind the bar. I slid out of the seat and shut the door behind me. One of these days, that door is just going to fall off, I thought, stepping through the doors I’d raced out of earlier.

                “Aidan, back so soon?” I heard Dale shout from the kitchen. He met me at the door, wearing one of his signature smiles.

                “Yeah,” I muttered, handing him the keys. He took them just to drop them back in his black hole of a pocket. “Am I working tomorrow?”

                “That was the plan.” He walked back in the kitchen. I opened my mouth, but I couldn’t spit the words out. I couldn’t ask him something like that; he’d already done too much to help me.

                “Why? Do you already have plans? ‘Cause it’s a little late of a warning there, buddy.” I flashed him a look. “Sorry, Aidan,” he corrected.

                “Thanks and no. I don’t have plans, I was just…I forgot.” I toyed with my sleeve. A concerned look passed over his face.

                “Are you sure everything’s okay?”

                “Yeah,” I answered a little too quickly.

                “Okay, what’s wrong?” I continued to stare at the ground. “Aidan, I’m not dumb. Tell me.” He pulled out a chair and gestured for me to sit. I flopped down on the chair, not daring to look at his eyes. I felt like if I did, he could read the burning question right off of my face. He sat down next to me. I could feel his stare burning into my neck. Heat rushed to my face. I have to tell him now, he’s expecting something.

                I shifted in my seat. “Well, it’s just that winter’s coming and I’m not really sure where to go.” I stole an unnoticed glance at his face. He seemed emotionless. It made me nervous not to see his smile.

                “So you’re asking if you can stay with me.”

                “It’d just be temporary, and I promise I don’t need that much space.” I kept my eyes down, focused on my sleeve again.

                “I have a few ground rules, okay? Rule one…”

                “Wait, you’re serious?” I lifted my head to meet his eyes.