{thirty-seven}

"We come alive in the eveningWith heat and wet skinAnd our bodies are tossed and turnedTangled up in it"

With heat and wet skin
And our bodies are tossed and turned
Tangled up in it"

"We come alive in the eveningWith heat and wet skinAnd our bodies are tossed and turnedTangled up in it"

     There was a certain intimacy of waking up in the morning completely naked. Though, the silk sheets felt divine against my skin. I expected Miguel to be cozied up right next to me. His strong limbs would be sprawled out taking up the whole bed. Instead, I find a crumpled sticky note on the wrinkled pillow, where he rested his head. I smooth out the creases of the paper and read the nearly perfect penmanship. 'Stay in bed. Be back soon. - M.'

     I couldn't help but bite my lip and smile. It was the little things that made me the most excited. Miguel could bring me a single rose and I would shower him in kisses. He could bring me a love letter, handwritten by him, and I would cry as I read it. For fucks sake, he could bring me french fries and I'd be the happiest girl on Earth. There was no more denying the connection we've had for months. Now, we're just accepting it.

     A knock sounds for the door. Gasping, I pull up the sheets to shield my body from prying eyes. "Who is it?" I sound.

     "It's me bella," Miguel replies as he opens the door. A smirk stretches across his face as he eyes me in bed. "Buenas días bella."

"Buenas días," I whisper. Miguel approaches the bedside and kisses my forehead. The brown paper bag in his hand is set on the nightstand. He pulls out styrofoam boxes, making my room begin to smell like a delicious breakfast. "What did you get?"

Miguel hands me a styrofoam box and I open it to see stacked waffles drizzled in syrup. Beside them is scrambled eggs, crispy bacon, and hash browns. I lick my lips as the scent curls further into my nose. "Bella."

"Hm?"

"You can eat the food, you know?"

I scoff and grab the plastic utensils. "Of course I know!"

Miguel laughs as he sits beside me on the bed. "Just saying. You went into some hypnotic trance when that box opened."

I join Miguel in a boisterous laugh. Cutting into my waffles, Miguel turns on the television. I don't mind it much, maybe because I'm so enticed by my breakfast, but what does grab my attention is the lady announcing breaking news. "Last night, at 3:44 am, a wanted man by the name of Raymond Acosta was pulled over for speeding. Acosta is wanted for stabbing a young woman and abusing a member of his family on Tuesday night. Acosta sat in a car full of weapons, money, and valuables that he claims were 'family heirlooms.' When questioned about the items, Acosta refused to answer, then drove away from the police."