Chapter 20

A/N: Just a heads up, I have no idea what this chapter is going to be like. I'll be working on it on and off all day but I hope you still enjoy it!

*****************************

"You like Max, right?" Kye asked as we got in the car on Wednesday morning.

I frowned as I turned the key in the ignition. "Why the hell would you say that?" I asked, trying to brush it off. 

If he knew, he would make it obvious to Max whenever he was around. To say the least, I really didn't want that. Especially after last night. 

Which reminded me, why the hell was Max so distracted during out kiss that he didn't pull away when he heard my mother?

Why did Kye just have to interrupt at the wrong time? If he didn't I would know by now, and this question would not be haunting my mind right now.

Oh well, Kye didn't know. 

"Come on Rylie!" Kye said, exasparated. "You spend basically all your time with the guy, he knows you better than I think you do sometimes and he likes you too."

I shook my head, not going to tell the truth. "Kye, it's not like that. He is my best friend and that's all we are to each other."

Kye shook his head profusely. "No. Friends don't kiss like that in a dark hallway."

It was my turn to be exasparated. "Kye, you know why we did! It was to piss off Mum and-"

"That's not what I'm saying. I know why you did it but it was something else. Neither of you looked like you were doing it just because of that." Kye frowned. "Look, I'm not making sense. Let me try again."

He paused for a moment while I kept my eyes on the road. If Kye couldn't see my eyes he wouldn't see how much I wish that was true. He wouldn't see just how hard I was falling for Max. 

Kye took a deep breath and tried again. "Okay. You and Max are kind of perfect together. You just fit together like pieces of a puzzle and everyone sees it. If you and Max really didn't want to kiss last night, you wouldn't have. We would have thought of another way to push our mother off the edge, but you were both eager to do it."

I knew he was going to continue but I wasn't sure I wanted to hear it. Hearing people say things like this leads to wishful thinking. That's something I can't afford because I knew from past experiences that wishful thinking led to getting your heart broken. 

"You don't see how much-"

"Kye, stop," I told him as I turned into the parking lot. 

I pulled into an empty spot and got out before Kye could say anything.

I didn't want to hear about something that wasn't going to happen, but apparently I couldn't escape it. 

"I thought you said nothing was going on between you and Max!" Brooklyn pounced as soon as I got into the hallway near my locker. 

"What the hell are you talking about?" I snapped, not even looking her way.

"You seriously don't know?" She asked, speaking as if I was stupid. She just gestured to my locker with a pissed off expression. 

Taped to my locker was a piece of paper and a rose, directly along side each other.

Surely this person had gotten the wrong locker. 

I hesitantly pulled the note off my locker and opened it. 

Rylie,

Huh, so it was to me. I kept reading.