33: Manor House

"Slow down," Jimin told Jin quietly, "That's it up ahead,"

Jin slowed down and stopped the bus, stifling a yawn behind his hand, Jimin glanced at him, before looking back out the window, "Sorry," He said, "I should have let you rest,"

Jin shrugged, "Like I said before. I'd rather rest somewhere safe, than on a bus, Sergeant. How's the situation look?"

Jimin stared out the window, his sharp eyes scanning for any signs of danger.

"It looks alright," he said quietly, "But I'm going to have to do a sweep on the inside. Pull the bus behind those trees and we'll get started," Jimin pointed to a small group of trees a little further away from the huge iron fence of the manor house.

Jin moved the bus quickly and switched the engine off.

"Listen up!" Jimin called, loudly enough to wake everyone up.

A few people jumped in their seats, but once everyone was awake, they turned to face him.

"We're here," He said, "And it seems to be quiet, but we're going to need to do a sweep to make sure it's safe," He looked at Namjoon and then at Yoongi, "You two will come with me. Taehyung and Bee will protect the bus, and Jin is going to rest while we're gone, understand?"

"Yes, Sarge," Namjoon stood up immediately.

"Hyung," Jungkook said as Yoongi nodded and stood, "Please be careful,"

Yoongi smiled and ruffled his hair, "Of course I will, Kook. You go back to sleep, okay? I'll be back quicker that way,"

Namjoon and Yoongi stepped off the bus, and Jimin hesitated, looking at his wife. He was still mad at her, but he didn't want to leave without saying goodbye, at least.

Bee stared back, clearly waiting for him to make a decision, and with a curse he strode towards her and leaned over the seat. He pulled her to him by his hand on her chin and kissed her hard on the lips.

"Be back soon," He muttered, before turning and heading off the bus, a little more satisfied than before. He had just showed her that he still loved her, but he was cool about it.

"Sarge," Namjoon snickered as he stepped off the bus, leaning his shotgun on his shoulder, "Why don't you stop trying to act cool and just apologise already? We all know you're going to be the one to do it, anyway,"

Jimin narrowed his eyes, "Shut up. Let's move out,"

The three soldiers lowered themselves a little as they headed towards the manor house.

Hoseok was right; the place was enormous. The fence itself ran around the land inside for what looked like acres, and right in the centre of the open land was probably the biggest house Jimin had ever seen.

To the right of the house seemed to be a large garage, and jimin was sure that around the back of the building were the greenhouses that Hoseok had mentioned.

The trio moved silently to the gate, their weapons ready, but as soon as Jimin reached it, he frowned.

"There's a chain holding it shut," He said, "But the key is in the lock,"

"That's not good," Namjoon said, "That can only mean one thing,"

"Dead ones inside," Yoongi muttered, "Look,"

Jimin leaned closer to the gate, looking inside at where Yoongi was gesturing. In the long grass, barely visible, was the remains of a person. It was mostly rotten and seemed to have a majority of the flesh ripped from the bones.

"This one has been eaten," Jimin said, standing up, "The grass is long, so we need to be careful,"

He reached through the gate and unlocked the padlock, before putting it with the key in his pocket. He then carefully lifted the heavy chain and pulled it free from the iron bars. He then pulled on the gate, opening it just enough for them to get through, before closing it again behind him.

"We'll sweep the outside first," He instructed, "Then move to the outer buildings, and then to the main house. Use your knives unless it's necessary to use your gun, but try to use it with a silencer. We don't want to attract extra attention,"

Both men nodded at his instructions, and they then began to make their way around the perimeter, looking for any dead ones.

Jimin held up his fist and both Yoongi and Namjoon immediately froze, lowering them just a little so they were ready for anything. He pointed at a couple of figures in the distance. They weren't moving, but they seemed to be swaying a little.

"Yoongi, from the front," He said, as he and Namjoon moved quickly away from him, aiming to take the dead ones from other angles.

Yoongi drew his knife and ran towards the group of dead ones. When they saw him coming, they seemed to come to life, turning as one to face him. Their mouths dropped open, strained moans coming from their rotting throats as they began to stumble towards him. There seemed to be a lot more than they could originally see; Yoongi could see at least five that were standing, but as they started coming towards him, he could see more rising up out of the long grass.

He killed the first one with a knife to the head as soon as it reached him, and then he was fighting for his life, slashing, kicking and stabbing as more and more came at him.

He could see Jimin and Namjoon out the corner of his eye, in a similar position, but as a combined unit, they eventually managed to cull the dead ones.

Namjoon wiped the blood from his face and looked over at the Sergeant.

"There were at least twenty-five," He said, "I didn't see them in the grass,"

Jimin nodded, "That's why this place is dangerous. We'll check the insides, and then we'll make some noise so any remaining outside come to us. That's the safer way,"

He wiped the blood on his knife on the shirt of a dead one, "Let's get into the buildings. I don't want to leave the bus unguarded for so long,"

Namjoon smirked at him, "You mean you don't want to leave your wife for long? Frankie and Bee are capable of looking after the bu-"

"Shut up," Jimin snapped, "Move out, Namjoon and stop talking,"

Namjoon grinned even more, "Yes, Sarge!"

---

AN: Not the best of chapters, sorry.

My son's just started his summer holidays, so I might not be able to update as much. I'll try though, I promise! Just letting you know in case I vanish for a bit lol