Chapter 4: Truth Comes Out

"You need to make up your mind," Colette told Marcel with a huff. "I swear, you men can be so fickle."

Colette felt lucky she was able to get the barrier around her home put up once more. It was usually the best way of letting Marcel know he had royally screwed up the few times before when he had pissed her off. But this time really made her consider seeing other methods to block him out until he came to his senses. He stood out on the balcony as she stayed inside, painting a new landscape of the bayou. Despite the weather being sweltering at times, Colette loved to go to the bayou for inspiration and to paint. Even there, there was a certain magic that drew her to Louisiana in the first place.

"I'm offering you time with Davina," he replied. "She wants to go to the music festival and she needs protection. I need someone to stick close to her to ensure her safety. I asked Cami-"

Colette let out a laugh, "That bartender you care for? No offense to her skills, as I'm not sure what she is capable of, but how will she ensure Davina's safety? Won't you have the others making sure to secure the area?"

"That's where you come in. Davina wants to see you and there is no one she or I will trust with her safety. That and she needs to have a talk with someone about respecting authority. That's where Cami comes in if she accepts."

"You want to get her under control, is that it?"

"Colette, she boiled my blood. She needs help."

She smiled, impressed. "I actually taught her that one. Never figured she'd use it on you. She must really want to go."

"So you'll do it?" he asked one more time.

"I'll be there," she turns back around to her painting. "For her. Not for you."

═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══

A few hours after Marcel had left, another burst of air came through her open balcony doors. Standing over two sundresses that lay on her bed, Colette picked them up, turning to find Klaus waiting for her.

"What do you think?" she asked him, holding them up.

Klaus considered it for a moment before pointing to one of them. She tossed the other back on her bed, clutching the other one to her as she moved closer to the door. Colette knew he wasn't here to give her fashion advice. "I've heard Davina's coming to the festival tonight."

"And I heard Originals weren't invited," she countered. "She's my family, Klaus. I'll see what I can do, but you will not be going anywhere near her, do you understand me?"

"Do you remember who you're talking to?" he reminded her.

"Oh, I do," she said, placing one hand against the door frame, her face dangerously close to his despite the barrier between them. "And I want you to know that I'm much more dangerous than you think."

═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══

Music festivals in New Orleans never ceased to put a smile on her face. Colette could even remember that the Dauphine Street festival was the first one Marcel had brought her to not long after she met him. The feeling in the air was intoxicating and it was the night she knew she'd found a place to call home. Nothing brought her as much joy as this festival.

Davina sighed, "I won't talk to anyone about anything. I won't say anything about witches, or vampires, or Originals, or you. You said you weren't going to hover!"

"I never promised that," she said leaning in closer.

Davina spun around and let out a squeal when she saw her. Colette opened her arms wide and hugged Davina close when she wrapped her arms around her. She placed a kiss on the top of her head before pulling back slightly, cupping her face in her hands. Davina held onto her wrists, smile a mile wide, "Where have you been? I've missed you."