Chapter 5: Storytime

Colette was suddenly aware of how alone they truly were. At least how Davina was the only human close enough for Elijah to feed on. The veins around his eyes were black, only for a moment, before going back to normal. His skin was an unsightly gray color, brought on as a result of not feeding for so long. Her muscles tensed as she got ready to fight him. Davina's heartbeat, on the other hand, remained steady, unafraid, "You're the one they call honorable."

He smiled, after a beat, "Yes, that's what they call me. And yet," he walked around to sit in the chair in the middle of the room, the one Davina would have Colette sit on while she did portraits of her. "I followed my brother here to New Orleans to engage in a war. So, I ask you: does that sound honorable to you?"

"You don't look well," Davina commented.

"Well, only this morning I had a mystical dagger embedded in my chest, so I'd say I'm holding myself together quite well," he replied. Noticing the intense stare he was receiving from Colette, he pulled her into the conversation, "Colette, Davina, I believe that the three of us have the power to end a war between witches and vampires before it truly begins. I, by keeping my brother in line; you two, by behaving like your true selves—not some tools for Marcel or the witches."

Davina questioned him, "And why should I trust you?"

Colette adding, "Especially after that stunt your brother just pulled downstairs with biting me and forcing Davina to a line with him?"

"Well, for one thing, in spite of a ravenous hunger, I have not tried to take your blood," Elijah told them. "Nor have I spoken to Marcel about how you've spent time with my brother and I before I was daggered."

"Why not? I'm the only one here," said Davina, walking over to an end table, away from Colette.

"Even in my present condition, I would not feed from a child," he informed her.

"And I'd kill you if you tried. Davina..."

She held up a hand, the other holding a hat pin in her hand, "It's okay." Davina pricked her finger with it, a tiny bubble of blood forming as she pulled out the pin. With a steady hand, she offered the tiniest amount of blood out on it to Elijah. He hesitates as if waiting for it to be a trick before his hand reaches out. Colette gets ready to move when his fingers rest ever so gently on Davina's wrist, pushing it slightly to his mouth. The pin grazes his lips, the blood transferring to it.

Elijah gasps, his skin returning to its normal color as the blood enters his system. Davina looks back at Colette with a pleased smile.

Colette sat on the bed, her eyes flicking between Davina and Elijah as he wandered around the room while she drew him in it. He picked up Tim's damaged violin, sitting on one of the many dressers. He questioned her as he brought it over to his seat "Do you play?"

"That's... not mine," Davina said, looking to Colette. "She wanted to teach me how to play the piano, but we couldn't get one up here without causing a scene."

He nodded as he sat down with the instrument, tinkering with it. The sound of footsteps on the stairs just outside the closed door creaked. Elijah rushed off into the corner of the room where he couldn't be seen, the girls quiet as Marcel entered the room. Davina was quick to put another of her drawings over the one in progress. Marcel had a smile a mile wide for the both of them, looking from Colette to Davina, "Good news, Little D. I'm moving you out this pile of dust."

"Are you serious? When?" she asked.

"Tonight. I just need to lock in the arrangements. How's our Original?" he gestured over to the coffin.