Chapter Five

A few days later, Daphne joined Trinket on a trip to the city center to purchase a shawl. While the mornings and nights were still decidedly chilly, the days themselves had become warmer, and Trinket's winter coat was too much to bear as the temperatures rose.

"The women of Tinkerfall seem to be very fond of gold fringe," she said as she looked through piles of shawls in the tailor's shop, almost all of them decorated with sparkling gold trim.

Daphne let out a little squeal, pulling Trinket's attention away from the shawls. She was holding up a beautiful black top hat adorned with peacock feathers and sea green ribbon.

Smiling, Trinket nodded. "I think it would look lovely on you."

Daphne shook her head and pointed at her.

"Me? No, I don't need any hats."

Refusing to back down, Daphne plopped it on her head and turned her towards the mirror. It was very pretty, and she couldn't deny that she quite liked the way the colors brought out her eyes. But she still shook her head.

"I came here for a shawl, not a hat I don't need."

Daphne rolled her eyes but did not push her any further.

Taking off the hat, Trinket placed it back on the stand where Daphne had found it. As she turned to resume her shopping, her eyes caught on someone on the other side of the store: a young blonde woman who looked vaguely familiar. But in the blink of an eye, she was gone. Brushing it off as another hallucination, Trinket returned to Daphne who was picking through the shawls.

"I do think you would look splendid in that hat," Trinket said.

Her gaze still fixed on the shawls in front of her, Daphne waved the suggestion away. Her eyes suddenly went wide as a smile spread over her face. Turning to Trinket, she held up a lovely cerulean shawl with fringe that faded into a darker blue. It was a simple fabric with no extra bits to attract attention, but it was sturdy and thick enough to keep out the early spring chill.

"That's perfect," Trinket said, smiling up at her. "Thank goodness I have you here to help me. If it weren't for you, I'd still be lost in a sea of gold fringe."

Daphne bowed her head and returned her smile.

The tailor eyed Daphne's high collared cape as they made their way to the register, and for a moment, Trinket worried that he had noticed the portiums. However, he quickly set his gaze on the money she held out to him and then went to work wrapping the shawl. She let out a slow breath and turned to share a relieved smile with Daphne when she again saw the blonde woman. This time she got a good look at her pale face.

A memory stirred:

A dirty, stuffy kitchen.

A pot of thin, watery gruel.

A girl with wild eyes.

Her breath caught in her throat as she went to call out to the young woman. Nearly choking on her unspoken words, she ignored Daphne's concerned expression. Trinket's eyes were glued to the blonde girl who was weaving her way through the displays and heading towards the door. Panic took over, and Trinket attempted to call out to her again, but before she could, the blonde girl slipped out the door as a well-dressed couple walked in.

Trinket stared after her. Had she really been there? Was she another hallucination? Or just a memory? Again, the images of Elysium played through her head, as if mocking her. Or perhaps threatening her.

A drug-induced stupor.

Spiders crawling up the walls.

Cold and heartless hands gripping her arms.