Chapter Thirty-Eight

"It still looks awful," Trinket said, gently brushing her fingers over Booker's black eye as they walked down the street.

He winced. "It still feels awful."

"Then are you sure this can't wait? Maybe you should heal a bit before diving right back into work."

"Please, it was only a knock on the head."

"Face."

"Even better. I don't need my looks to be a proper doctor. Although, I do worry it could affect your attachment to me."

"Oh, yes, because I'm only interested in you for your devilish good looks."

"Well, my personality certainly leaves something to be desired, so my looks are really all I have."

Her lips curled into a crooked grin as she tightened her grip on his arm and leaned in closer. "Someone has to put up with your dark humor and morbid mind, right? Might as well be me."

Giving a chuckle, he laid a kiss atop her head.

The city center was buzzing with gossip as they made their way to the police station. Even though Tory's body had been removed the night before, people had heard the commotion take place and had gone to investigate. The news spread quickly after that, and now everyone was spinning their own version of the tale.

"They had to stake her through the heart," a nearby woman whispered to her companion. "And when they did, she turned to dust."

"I heard they put a silver bullet in her brain," a young urchin told his friends. "And when she was screaming from the burning pain, they lopped off her head."

The young boy made a chopping motion at his own neck and let his head fall onto his shoulder, eyes rolled back and tongue hanging out. Trinket grimaced while his friends laughed at his theatrical demonstration. Opening his eyes, he flashed a toothy grin as the others applauded. Despite the morbidity of his performance, a warm glow grew in Trinket's chest. He reminded her of Gin with the way he was able to demand the rapt attention of his audience.

A tight ache quickly replaced the warmth in her chest as she considered all she had lost in only a few short days.

Gin.

Tory.

Any good feelings she may have had about Booker's friend.

All gone.

"Are you sure you're all right doing this?" Booker asked, drawing her attention away from the urchin. "Because I can go by myself. You don't have to be involved."

She shook her head. "No, it's fine. We need to finish this mystery."

"But not at your emotional expense."

True, her emotions had been spent quite a bit, but so had his. Though he tried to hide it, she saw the same warm sadness in his eyes as they passed by the urchin boy. He'd hardly had time to mourn Gin before being forced back into the game. It didn't feel right to send him off to do this alone. And besides, Tory had been her friend, or as close to a friend as she could find in Elysium. She owed it to her to be there for her. Even in death.

Smiling up at Booker, she gave his hand a squeeze. "I'll be fine. Trust me."

He nodded uncertainly as they approached the police station.

Jewkes was waiting at the back door and motioned for them to follow him inside. As with the times before, he led them down the creaky wooden stairs and into the cold depths of the mortuary.

"You certain you're in a stable enough condition for this?" he asked as he brought them to one of the covered tables, furrowing his brow at Booker's swollen eye.