Chapter 9

"Okay you have to admit that it was a little funny," Ada chuckled as she sat on the couch.

Tony grabbed the remote and turned the TV on to the news. That's when a symbol showed up on the screen as it glitched. A voice spoke up. Terrorism events popped up on the screen.

"Some people call me a terrorist," the voice spoke.

Yelling, gunshots, and cheering filled their ears as it continued to play.

"I consider myself a teacher. America. Ready for another lesson? In 1864, in Sand Creek, Colorado, the US military waited until the friendly Cheyenne braves had all gone hunting. Waited to attack and slaughter the families left behind and claim their land. 39 hours ago, the Ali AI Salem Air Base in Kuwait was attacked," he stated. "I... I... I did that. A quaint military church filled with wives and children, of course. The soldiers were out on manoeuvres. The braves were away. President Ellis. You continue to resist my attempts to educate you, sir. And now you've missed me again. You know who I am. You don't know where I am. And you'll never see me coming."

Ada's head gained a severe headache as he spoke. Something inside of her just snapped and her breathing became erratic.

"Shh. It's alright," Tony assured as he took her in her arms.

Her breathing slowed, but it didn't help. The events she saw on the TV reminded her of her time when she was kidnapped.

And for some reason, it gave her a sense of deja vu.

-----------------

"It tested well with focus groups, all right?"

Ada currently played with her phone while Tony and Rhodey bickered with each other.

"'I am Iron Patriot!'" Tony spoke gruffly. "It sucks."

"Listen," Rhodey interrupted. "'War Machine' was a little too aggressive. All right? This sends a better message, right Ada?"

"Personally I like War Machine better. It sounds more bad-ass," Ada answered.

Tony sighed slightly as he held his head in his hand.

"So, what's really going on? With the Mandarin. Seriously, can we talk about this guy?"

That name. Ada didn't know why, but a few words and names gave her certain...feelings. Mandarin gave her a sense of fear and dread. But Spencer's name gave her a sense of happiness. She didn't know why, but just a few things would set her off.

"It's classified information, Tony. Okay, there have been nine bombings."

"Nine."

"The public only knows about three. But here's the thing, nobody can ID a device. There's no bomb casings."

"You know we can help," Ada interrupted.

"Just ask. I got a ton of new tech. I got a prehensile suit. I got bomb disposal. It catches explosions in mid-air," Tony listed off.

Rhodey's eyes grew wide.

"When's the last time you got a good night's sleep? Either of you?"

"Einstein slept three hours a year," Ada stated the fact.

"Look what he did," Tony finished.

"People are concerned about you, Tony. And you, Ada. I'm concerned about you both," Rhodey said.

"You're going to come at us like that?"

"No, look, I'm not trying to be a dick..."

They were interrupted by a little girl and her brother walking up to them with a crayon and drawing.

"...tator," Rhodey saved himself.

"Do you mind signing my drawing?" the girl asked Tony.

"If Richard doesn't mind," Tony chuckled. "Are you all right with this, Dick?"

"Yeah. Fine with me," Rhodey held up his hands in surrender.

"What's your name?" Tony asked. 

"Erin," the girl answered.

"I loved you in A Christmas Story, by the way," Tony spoke to the boy.

"Listen, the Pentagon is scared. After New York, aliens..." Rhodey trailed off as Tony drew with the crayon on the drawing. "Come on. They need to look strong. Stopping the Mandarin is a priority, but it's not... "

"It's not superhero business," Ada muttered.

"No, it's not, quite frankly," Rhodey noticed her.

"I get it," Tony replied.

"It's American business. That's why I said I got it."

Tony then broke the crayon in his hand as his hand went to his forehead. He took a big breath as he sighed in his hand.

"Are you okay?"

"Dad?"

"I broke the crayon..." Tony mumbled.

"Are you okay, Mr Stark?" the girl, Erin, asked.

"Take it easy. Tony."

Tony dropped his hand, as the little boy leaned in towards Tony.

"How did you get out of the Wormhole?" the boy whispered

Tony abruptly stood and left the room. Ada looked to the drawing to see Tony's signature with scribbles over himself in the drawing. She stood up too.

"Wait a minute. Tony!" Rhodes called.

"What did you say?" Ada looked at the boy before taking off after her dad.

"Dad," Ada chased after him.

"Sorry," Tony pushed through the crowd outside as he clutched his chest.

He headed towards the suit he had parked in front of the building.

"Dad!"

"I'm just checking on the suit..."

The suit then opened up for him to get inside and he collapsed to the ground.

"Okay," Tony muttered as he painted and gasped, trying to regain his breath.

"Check the heart," he stammered over his words. "Is it the brain?"

"No sign of cardiac anomaly or unusual brain activity," JARVIS spoke.

"Okay, so I was poisoned? "

"My diagnosis is that you've experienced a severe anxiety attack."

"Me?"

Rhodey and Ada kneeled in front of Tony as Ada knocked on his suit.

"Come on, man, this isn't a good look. Open up," Rhodey reminded.

"Sorry, I gotta split," Tony stood and grabbed Ada as he flew away.