Chapter 23

Throwing up into the river of misery wasn't on any of their agenda lists, but Leo did it. At least the souls in there have more reason to wail over.

As soon as they dropped into the open space of a scarlet chasm, Leo brought Festus to life and he caught Hazel, Reyna, Piper and Leo before they turned into demigod pancakes. That sounded really appetizing for the monsters down in here right about now.

Calypso kept herself aloft with her wind servants, though once it hit the noxious red clouds, they dispersed and she would fall to her death, but Festus scooped her up.

"Cheery," Piper muttered.

Celeste seemed to have her own ways on not falling to her doom. A shadow materialized below her and caught her and galloped to the floor. They had never seen anything so weird in their lives.

"Is that a pegasus?" Reyna frowned. "Blackjack?"

Hazel narrowed her eyes. "Down here? Don't think so. Let's check it out."

Celeste was already on the ground, standing next to a black horse with silver fangs. She nuzzled its head and she gazed up at them.

"Took you long enough," she said. "Nightstrider hates to wait."

The horse whinnied as if to argue. Unfortunately, their horse expert wasn't here, and he was about to kill the Olympian gods.

"Vampire horse?" Leo unmounted Festus. "Dang, you gotta admit, that's cool."

Hazel watched the vampiric horse and its owner. A bitter feeling pinged in her chest - how long since she saw Arion? Months? Years? When she got back, she's going to find all the gold she can and let Arion have an all-you-could-eat gold buffet.

There was some more startling, though. Celeste had removed her mask which concealed her galaxy-like eyes. It was like Piper's, but her eyes had every color of the galaxy at once. Purple, cyan, ice blue and more.

Celeste glared at her as if to dare her to keep gawking.

"So where to now?" Calypso asked. "Suppose we split up?"

"No," Piper and Reyna echoed.

"We're not splitting up," Piper said.

"It's too dangerous," Reyna agreed. "Even for us."

"Well, that's what makes it fun!" Leo spread his hands. "Monsters to kill! Percy to subdue! Oh, joy!"

Everyone stared at him.

"What? Trying to keep things light," he argued, crossing his arms. He elbowed his bronze dragon and Festus creaked in approval.

Hazel decided she would thank Leo for his optimism or strangle him later. Keeping things light didn't make any damn sense in Tartarus. The entire place is trying to repel them by sending monsters their way.

Calypso had assured them that her Titan scent might mask their demigodly scent, but no one could say for sure. Reyna suggested that Celeste's premedial scent would also somewhat help, but, also, nobody knows because no one lived to tell the tale. Even if they did miraculously survive, they would not talk about it.

Like Annabeth.

There were times where descendants of demigods would ask, Hey, how does being an actual demigod feel like? It's so awesome!

Hazel had no idea how to answer that. So far, every demigod she met hated being one. None, none has ever said liking it.

"I don't know why you all despise being a demigod. I like it," Celeste said. "It's hilarious when you kill a mortal thinking you weak."

Never mind. One. One premedial demigod who likes being a demigod.

"You kill?" Leo asked. "Dude, that's not cool. Even if they're mortals who really deserve a punch in the face. Like Octavian, here."

"Hey!" Octavian protested, though no one paid him any mind.

Celeste said nothing as she mounted her trusty steed, venturing first to the deeper parts of the chasm.

"Cheerio," Hazel said.

* * *

Hazel's body gave up almost instantly.

They really didn't think this through. Blisters appeared on her arms and each breath came harsher and difficult. What had Annabeth said? Drink from the River of Fire.

What does that even mean? She tried ambrosia, unicorn draught or nectar, but neither of it worked for more than a minute. To survive in hell, they'd have to drink liquid fire.

"Can we make ambrosia out of the river?" Leo rasped, frowning at his blisters. "This is what you get from being burned? Didn't know."

Everyone but Calypso or Octavian was starting to wear down. The air itself was literally killing her lungs. Despite her sneakers, jagged chips invaded her shoes.

It didn't penetrate her skin, though. The Achilles curse, they had called it, it made her skin like iron.

It didn't make her lungs anti-acid, though. She felt like she was inhaling salted lemon juice.

"Where is that river?" Reyna croaked.

They were so out of their game they nearly walked off the edge. Festus's bronze hide sizzled in the poisonous air, though the dragon itself had no visible damage.

Calypso stopped Hazel before they skipped right off. "Halt. Cliff."

From behind them, Leo called, "Thanks a lot, mamazita!"

Calypso ignored him. She pointed below. "That's the Phlegethon."

Hazel sniffed and looked over the edge. A majestic river coursed through the depths of Tartarus, glowing a mighty golden. That was beautiful until you saw the cinders bouncing off of it and the immense heat. It was not some place one would want to get a tan.

"That," Piper said, "is stupid. We have to drink from that?"

"That or you wish to die," Calypso offered. "I hear the river is quite comfortable for a swim."

"Come on! Drinkie drinkie!" Piper trumpeted, ignoring Calypso. "Before we die!"

"Everybody get on Festus! Single file, everybody!" Leo called out dramatically. "Any weird stuff and we'll kick you off!"

Festus creaked.

"Okay, buddy!" Leo said. "Extra-extra Tabasco sauce!"

Festus creaked again.

"With Octavian chew toys!" Leo added.

Octavian made a rude gesture.

Festus creaked again frantically, as if bargaining.

Calypso stroked his muzzle. "What is he saying? I'm not yet familiar with your language."

Leo grinned. "He said he'll kick Octavian off if he gets on! I had to convince him not to. What does the guide do, anyway?"

"Death Mist," Calypso said. "With Akhlys out... we'll need someone that's already dead to lead us."

"No way in hell!" Octavian spat.

"We are in hell, you dimwit!" Piper snarked.

"So shut up!" Hazel agreed.

"Or I'll run you through and kill you again!" Reyna growled.

The three goggled at each other, leaving Octavian burning red from embarrassment. A flicker of discomfort was found on Leo's face, but he dismissed it as quickly as it came.