14: The Game Has Started

Wednesday afternoon, Tony gets inside his house in a hurry while Lena and Michelle wait outside. As he's heading upstairs to his bedroom, he catches Mrs. Sinclair going down. Ever since his father left, the house has remained silent and no one has spoken at all. There's been an awkward and uncomfortable tension wrapping the house.

"Mom?" If they don't speak now... when?

Maybe, today, in a few hours, Tony will be getting handcuffed by a cop and taken to jail where they will uncover his biggest secret. He wants his mother to hear it from him when he's still the son she's known since forever. The son that didn't bury the dead body of an innocent girl.

"Yeah? What is it, honey?" she asks, tightening her black robe and folding her arms on her chest.

"I... um..." the words get stuck inside of him. His cheek reddening as his mother tilts her head to let him know that she's listening.

He takes a deep breath and confesses, "I'm sorry for what happened with dad. I truly am."

She takes a step back, nearly falling down the steps. Throwing her hair on her back, she says, "It wasn't your fault, Tony. It was mine for letting him back in our home."

"I still have a weird, gut-wrenching feeling bothering me since the fight him and I had," he admits, his voice cracking into sobs.

Mrs. Sinclair opens her arms and takes Tony between them. "I'm not mad at you."

Tony hugs her tighter, enjoying a peaceful moment before he goes outside to the real world.

"But I must ask, though," she says, breaking the hug, her warm hands resting on Tony's shoulders. "You used a condom that night, right?"

The small weight on Tony's chest disappears as he releases a laugh. "Mom!"

Mrs. Sinclair shrugs while chuckling. "I've been worried! Boys can get sexually transmitted diseases, too."

Tony stops laughing, wiping the tears off his cheeks. "We did. And I'm leaving because this is extremely awkward, okay?"

She smiles and resumes to going down to the kitchen. Meanwhile, Tony grabs a pair of black, leather gloves from his bedroom. His mother got them for him the previous Christmas, but he never got to wear them.

Once outside, he catches up with the girls and jumps into Lena's Yukon in the passenger's seat. Lena nods at him before starting the engine. Michelle is in the back with her hands trembling. If only they would've realized their mistake earlier, but there's no going back. Many years of watching How To Get Away With A Murder and he still didn't think about wearing gloves that night.

  "Ok," Michelle breaks the silence. "We get into the woods, find the place where we buried Karen, dig her up with gloves, put her inside the trash bag I brought, and throw her into the lake outside of town."

"Let's not forget to add rocks or anything heavy into the bag so it can sink completely," Tony adds.

"God, we sound like psychos," Lena murmurs under her breath.

Michelle faces her, raising both eyebrows. "Maybe we are."

Lena slows the vehicle down, parking near an abandoned house. "We are here."

"I'm pretty sure we are parked far enough for the cops to not suspect anything of us," Michelle says, putting her gloves on and opening the door.

Lena carries a big sports bag in her shoulder that has the trash bag, and the hoodies they'll wear when they get close to the body and dump her into the lake. They are prepared to be done with Karen once and for all. Hopefully, XOXO stops with the threatening notes and their lives go back to normal.