Lara and the beat

"Do not tell me you'd give up an opportunity of doing a duet with The William Caiaphas" she could hear her father say as she opened the door of her house.

"Pops, a duet with you is just like white privilege" her elder sister replied

"I am giving you an opportunity that many people beg for and you are throwing it away"

She stepped into the house, threw her keys in to the the heart shaped bowl kept for that purpose and she hopped on one foot as she took off her black converses. She pulled off her black socks as she let her bag drop to the floor and she left them there by door.

"I didn't want to get signed to your label and you signed me anyways." he sister was saying.

She slammed the door with her foot and walked past the large screen door she was sure that her father and sister were behind.

"A lot of children would be happy that their father supports their music career."

"Mariah is that you?" Her mother's voice came from the kitchen.

"Yes Mama" she said dialling her eyes, as she walked into the large kitchen.  Her mother was dressed in a black pencil skirt and a sheer white crop top with black pointy toes pumps from YSL.
She was rinsing off a couple of wine glasses in the sink. Mariah could hear the clinck clinck sound of her bracelets knocking together as she wiped her hands dry. Trust her mother to be wearing YSL in the kitchen and make it look like she belonged there.

"Where's Christy?" Mariah asked as she turned her attention to the fridge, looking for a drink.

"I have her the night off. We're going... Why are you not dressed?" her mother asked, "Did you walk home again? Why didn't you call?"
Mariah turned around to see that her mother was now staring at her.

"Mama" Mariah drawled out instead of answering her numerous questions.

"Let's go find you something to wear" she said, "Pop-pop and Sarah are in the studio, already dressed" she motioned for Mariah to move.

Mariah sighed as she made her way to the staircase and her mother followed closely behind.

"Where are we going anyways?" she whined as her mother followed her to her room

"Uncle Mike's birthday" he mother said simply, "What competition did you go for?"

"I said we were prepping for a competition, not that I went for one. Why didn't I know about this party sooner?" Mariah asked as her mother practically pushed her aside aside and headed for her closet.

"Where's your flare gown"nshe hummed, "The one with floral print, white back ground"

"Dry cleaners" Mariah mumbled, "What are you looking for exactly?"

"We're doing monochrome today"

Mariah groaned at the thought. Her family always had theses colour coordinating outfits that the public absolutely loved. Not that she cared, today she wasn't just feeling up to any social gathering of any sort.

"This one" Her mother finally squealed in delight, "Wait...  When was your last wax?" she asked her turning to face her

"Saturday... We went for that thing on... "

"Sunday... right. Okay.  Wear this" she said dropping a black leather skirt and a black chiffon button down shirt on her bed. "Wear your heeled lace ups...  The open toe ones"

Mariah just stared at the clothes on the bed.
"You have to wear a short skirt. Sarah is wearing a striped jumpsuit, one of you has to show your legs"