Tell Me A Lie

"Nice to meet you. What's your name?"

"Uh. I'm Harry Styles."

"Okay Harry, uh, how old are you?"

"I'm 16."

"Okay, so tell me a little bit about you."

"Umm..I work in a bakery."

"Alright Harry, so you've left school and gone to work there, yeah?"

"I work there on Saturdays."

My eyes were glued to the screen, never blinking, my heart pounding with each ticking second. Stop with the chit chat and sing, god damn it!

"Alright, so what are you doing here?"

"Um, well, I've always wanted to audition, but I've always been too young."

"Okay, so what are you going to sing for us?"

"I'll do, isn't she lovely by Stevie Wonder."

I took a deep breath. Not because I was nervous for him. Oh, god no. I knew what was going to happen. Right when he got done singing this, the entire world would know his name. I was supposed to go with him, but I was too selfish to see my best friend be taken away from me in a matter of 5 minutes.

"Isn't she lovely?

Isn't she wonderful?

Isn't she precious?

Less than one minute old.

And I never thought

Through love we'd be

Making wonders lovely as she.

But isn't she lovely,

Made from love?"

He bowed, and the crowd erupted in cheers. My brother started laughing, clapping his hands, running up from the couch to call Harry's mom. I just sat there with my head in my hands, because at that moment, I knew that things would never be the same for either of us.

At that moment, I knew that I had lost Harry Styles forever.

*   *   *

Later in the day, around 5 p.m, I was doing my English homework, which was trying to decipher a sonnet written by Shakespeare, supposedly written for a fellow. My teacher, while brilliant, was also treating us as though we were incredibly advanced and requested that we find the meaning behind every single line in the poem. It was a tedious chore, but needed if I wanted to get into a credible Uni.

Piano Man by Billy Joel brought my phone to life.

"It's 9 o'clock on a Saturday. Regular crowd shuffl-"

I grabbed my phone and clicked 'Answer', not bothering to check the Caller I.D. I already knew exactly who it was.

"Hello friend?" I said into the phone, putting it between my shoulder and ear as I wrote down another answer to my tiredsome homework.

"Avery?" I heard Harry say. I took in a deep breath and pushed it out, not wanting to say anything negative.

"Yeah. It's me. Congratulations, Styles. I told you you could do it."  I said, trying to sound happy. I was focusing on a spec of chipped paint on a vase-a gift from my cousin Veronica-sitting on my bedside table.

"Why didn't you come this morning? We waited around for a while, but mum said we had to go. Why weren't you with me, Avery?" Harry asked, his voice sounding rather upset.