Chapter I - Part 2

The Farm

Hidden away amongst the foliage along the forest floor, two figures lay silent as if in patient wait while those who had been watching for them from above finally disappeared from view.

Skin covered with grayed mud and speckled with shaded green dye ground from the leaves around them, Eve and her brother Adam were nearly invisible from anyone that may have looked for them from any great distance.

Mud that also kept their soft skin cool while it masked their scent.

Coldly amused to have found that those who had long watched over them had not expected their ability to change to have come so quickly, they had also failed to look closer at what may have been right before their eyes.

"We are going to find a way out of here and I am going to enjoy killing ... each and every ... single ... one of them." Eve seethed quietly, as she looked for yet another way to gain access to the ever distant escape hatch.

The same hatch, through which food arrived on a regular basis, had been nothing short of pure aggravation that they both were forced to admit to their watchers having seemed far more practiced and tested than they could have otherwise hoped for.

"Fortunately, they have yet to have considered us much of a threat ..." Adam cautioned once again, "... or we would not be as free as we are and besides, their woman who comes to visit seems friendly enough."

The stark depth of his sister's bitter hatred had taught him caution when he had foolishly uttered any snide remarks that would have otherwise drawn her fury.

Their words were a muddled mix of French, Sioux and English that Running-Deer had patiently taught them. She had been firm on their fluency and stressed caution when speaking, particularly with white people.

For her efforts her children not only heard but understood most every word that the hidden ones uttered while they watched over them from above.

"Mother seems to believe that she's a user of some sort of ... spirit magic." He offered.

In human form, their skin appeared almost as dark as their mother; Adam tall and mangy lean while Eve was a third smaller and much more compact.

Combat skills that she mastered along the way were sharp and fast when compared to his many times over; while his study of tactics over action dwarfed hers in comparison where he would often wait and find more consistent success while she pounced with far more mixed results which tended only to annoy her even further.

Their ever vigilant mother had tried to explain that both were as important together as each alone.

The firestorm of headaches that had long plagued Running-Deer on a regular basis had gotten somewhat better, while she still preferred to remain in feral form to bring comfort from the pain.

She also enjoyed acting as a diversion out in the open while they remained hidden from view.

Adam sensed his sister shift position as she lay next to him while she continued to contemplate their next move.

"Perhaps you could ... talk with this magic user ... at length." Eve suggested with clear intent.

Her brother had little doubt of her meaning.

"I will not harm her."

When Eve turned to glare he just smiled.

"Nor will you use me as bait just to do the same."

Eve suffered his jab in silence.

"Perhaps you are right, wise brother of mine. However, also keep in mind that by simply talking to her, you might just manage to bring us some advantage without having to harm her, if you were to be found willing."

Adam thought about it; contrary to his past experience, perhaps his sister was learning.

"With your word for her safety, I will do it ... but only with your word."

"Fine ..." She groused, having begrudgingly accepted his plan, "... my word is yours to have." Deep down even she had come to realize that he might be right; nothing that she would ever admit openly to anyone.

Even, as it may have applied to her blood brother.