Tributes - John B. Davis - Part 2

While attending the University of Wisconsin-Superior in my pursuit of a degree in Math/Computer Science, I had the luck and privilege to have taken several classes from Mr. Davis where he greatly impacted my future as a professional programmer in far too many ways to count – even today.

Outgoing and often jovial, he often challenged his students on a regular basis to pay attention to even the smallest of details – for example having started more than one test or quiz with questions regarding the colors of your textbook cover, the names of the authors and the full name of the textbook while said textbooks lay just out of view beneath your seat.

In what may have initially started out as a joke of sorts, a friend and I noticed his propensity to fill out our submitted coding homework with red inked comments which we affectionately came to refer to as "zings" – so we began to add a commented section at the end of each code line that was spaced out to make a delineated section with the official title of "Zing-Zone" for when the code was printed out and turned in.

Another great example his humor and appreciation would giving us extra credit points for having the section and made a point of filling it up each and every time while taking away points when we neglected to add it.

As a tribute of sorts to him and others within the Math/Computer Science department, while in a comparison of their teaching methods to that of the various instructors within the Business department where we also had to take programming courses, I was able to formulate and author the following saying that I find as true today as it was then.

There are two kinds of programmers in this world: Business and Computer science.

How does one tell the difference between the two?

Business programmers are taught to do the right things.

Computer Science programmers are taught to do things right.

There is a huge difference between those two lines that shows up when you are using something designed by one or the other that will make you think of this saying far more than you may appreciate.

- Bob Sellers Jr. 1984