Chapter 13

December 1999

"Draco it's really quite unnecessary for you to do this," Hermione said as she walked into his flat and took a seat on the sofa.

"Nonsense! I won't have you alone on Christmas, Hermy," he replied, walking into the kitchen to grab tea for them both. "You said yourself that it'd be incredibly awkward attending Christmas luncheon at the Weasel home with Padma and Ron expecting."

"I was actually thinking of going down to St. Mungo's to visit my mum and dad," Hermione replied soberly. "They're starting to remember me now." She smiled sadly. "I'm forever grateful to you and Harry for helping expedite their return."

Draco shrugged as he handed her a cup of tea. "I had the resources and Potter the expertise. Why would we continue to allow you to suffer?"

"Still. It was incredibly kind of you."

"I know. So will you be appreciative and accept an invitation to Christmas dinner with my family?"

"Absolutely not! For three reasons. One, your parents hate me, two, I'm pretty sure this is another attempt to set you up with the Greengrass girl and..." she trailed off.

"And the third reason?" Draco asked after a moment.

Hermione sighed. "I can never again set foot in Malfoy Manor and I think you can understand why," she said quietly.

Draco flushed in shame and nodded. "Well, can I at least stop by yours after dinner with them?"

"I'll think about it. Anyway," Hermione said, wanting to change the subject. "What are we watching tonight?"

"You pick. And hurry before Blaise and Theo get here and we have to watch The Lion King again."

"Let's watch The Breakfast Club. It's a classic," Hermione replied getting up to turn on the television.

"If you would have told me three years ago that I'd be sitting on the sofa watching muggle movies with Hermione Granger, I'd have had you locked away for insanity," Draco murmured as she sat back down next to him.

Hermione snorted and scooted closer to Draco on the sofa, drawing her knees to her chest. "I'm not all that bad," she said defensively.

"You're not. And I can't believe it's taken me all this time to realize it."

Draco leaned down toward Hermione and for a second she thought he might kiss her. She tried to hide her disappointment when he settled for ruffling her already unruly hair as they heard a knock at the door letting them know that their friends had arrived.

"What are we watching?" Theo asked, flopping down onto the sofa next to Hermione.

"Something about breakfast," Draco answered as he reluctantly took a seat in the armchair on the other side of the room.

"It's not about breakfast, Draco," Hermione said, rolling her eyes and picking up the remote to start the movie.

"Then why's it called The Breakfast Club?"

"Just shut up and watch the movie and you'll see."

The foursome made it through two movies and were starting a third when Hermione fell asleep on the couch. Draco picked her up and took her into his guest room so she could rest.

"Theo," Blaise hissed, as Draco disappeared down the dim hallway. "You think he'll ever admit that he's sweet on her?"

Theo snorted. "Fat chance."

"I bet they end up together."

"And I bet they won't. He's too much of an idiot to ever make a move."