Let The Good Times Roll

December 1994

Things went back to normal for the most part. Raé was staying at the house. Janet was still ghosting on everyone but she popped in every now and then to see how we were doing and Michael and I were better than ever! I couldn't say the same about Nigel and Michael. They seemed to be bumping heads a lot lately.

"I told you I didn't need a partner! I can handle this by myself. I've been doing it for the past 5 to 6 months!" I heard Nigel say.

They were sitting on the patio discussing business while Raé and I were in the living room trying to watch a movie. We could barely hear because of the arguing taking place outside.

"Nigel," Michael began in a soft tone. "I understand you don't want to work with anyone else. I didn't want to hire anyone else but better safe than sorry!!"

Nigel shook his head in frustration. "So what? You don't think I can handle it?"

"I never said that." Michael responded, while looking down at some papers.

"Then what are you saying?" Nigel questioned, waiting for an answer.

Michael sighed. I could tell he was getting irritated.

"Maybe I should go out there.." I suggested. Still staring out at them.

"Nope, let them figure it out." Raé advised, not taking her eyes off the T.V. screen.

"You don't think I can protect her, do you?" Nigel continued to press. "You blame me and now you think I'm incapable of doing my job."

"I don't blame you at all, it could've happened to anyone." Michael responded, still calm.

"Then cancel the interview."

"No." Michael simply said. "Im hiring a second bodyguard and that's that."

"DAMNIT J," Nigel shouted, flipping the table the were sitting at over. Papers went everywhere. "I SAID I DON'T NEED ANYONE ELSE! SHE'LL BE FINE WITH JUST ME!"

Now both Raé and I were looking out at them. Michael rose from his seat and in one quick motion, he brought Nigel down to his knees and slammed his face into one of the coffee tables and brought it back up so that he could look at him. Raé and I ran out there, she went to Nigel's aid and I pulled Michael off to the side.

"You need to calm down!" I harshly whispered.

"He's acting like I've replaced him! If he keeps it up then I just might." Michael stated loud enough for Nigel to hear.

"You're not replacing anyone!" I said.

"You're not gonna come out here and tell me how to run things either!" He shot back. "Don't forget that I run this show."

Now it was my turn. I brought him down to his knees in one swift motion, grabbed his tie, tightened it around his neck and twisted it around my hand bringing him closer to me. His face was turning red as he gasped for air.

"Don't you ever speak to me like that again, do you understand me?"

He nodded.

"I tried to let y'all handle it like grown men but seeing that y'all cant," I continued.  "I'll handle it myself. Understand?"

He nodded.

"There's no more 'I '" I stated. "Its 'US' now and I don't have a problem reminding you or anyone else. Understood?"

He nodded. I released my grip and walked over to Nigel who's nose was off centered and still bleeding.

"May I?" I asked and he nodded.