Settled In

Winter 1996

Michael and I was flourishing!! Our relationship was great and business was even better. Michael helped me find people to employee, including a man named Bill. He had worked security for a few high profile celebrities but nothing too major, He was perfect. Michael also helped me build clientele and so far things were just going great.

We had been living in L.A. for about five months. We officially celebrated our first holidays together and we had just finished paying the cleaners for the party we threw celebrating New Years of '96.

Fast forward to three days later, I'm sitting on the back porch over looking the mountains when someone calls my name.

"Kennedy," It was Bill. He walked up and took a seat in the chair across from me. "Michael will be back in a couple weeks. He said his mother is ill and he needs to be there with her."

I knew Michael would be gone for a while but I didn't expect it to be two weeks, maybe more. We received word from Janet shortly after Christmas saying that mama Katherine had come down with a cold. Then late last night we got another phone call saying she was rushed to the hospital and they think it's pneumonia.

"She's just really weak right now," Janet explained. "Doctors say she'll recover fine but they want to keep her for a while just to monitor her."

"I'll be on the next flight." Michael expresses into the receiver. "Tell her I love her, please."

"See you soon!" Janet exclaimed before the line went dead.

I drove Michael straight to the airport and before hopping on the next flight he assured me that he'd call once he made it there.

"Everything's fine?" I asked Bill, concern in my voice.

"Yes, He told me to tell you Ms. Jackson is doing fine and that if you want, He could fly you out there." Bill said.

"I can't, I have to stay here," I replied, feeling saddened that I couldn't be there with Michael.

"I will let him know," Bill responded. "In the meantime, I think you should try and sleep."

Bill walked back in the house and I continued to sit on the patio, enjoying the fresh air. As much as I needed sleep, I couldn't get any until Michael was back here with me. Although things were good, someone was still after us, or me, atleast. Still lost in my thoughts, I eventually ended up falling asleep anyways.

By the time I woke up, i was still wrapped up in my blanket with the sun beaming down on me and I had broke out in a sweat. I quickly gathered my things and went back inside.

"There she is!" Nigel exclaimed as I entered the living room.

"Nigel!!!" I gasped, in excitement. "What are you... Aren't you supposed to be in Indiana with Michael?!!"

"Yes, well, He said he needed me here with you." Nigel answered. "On my way here i thought I'd do a little work for you."

Nigel walked over to the side of the couch and picked up two duffle bags, handing them to me. I plopped them on the ground and opened them to reveal large sums of money.

"What did you do?" I asked, sounding skeptical.

"Just a little collecting, that's all." He smirked.

"Thank You!" I laughed. "I didn't feel like getting all dressed up anyways."

"No problem." He smiled, taking a seat on the couch.