Appreciation

Lance's P.O.V.
I fly through the battlefield in blue, attacking the Galra ships coming at us left and right. Pidge is in one of the Galra ships trying to get information on some of the secret Galra bases. Hunk is covering Pidge in the yellow lion making sure we know which ship she is on.

Shiro is in the black and Keith is in the red lion, both are attacking Galra ships as well, soon the battle will be over. Finally, the green lion's eyes light up again as Pidge gets back in the pilot's seat. Her and Hunk seem to be working together to gather a bunch of Galra ships together and then blast them.

Keith flies under the ships, and they begin to follow him, but he is too fast, so they crash into each other instead. I need to do something now, or else it'll look like I didn't do anything. I notice a ship sneaking up on Keith and before it can blast him I hit it with a ray of ice from blue, freezing it.

Shiro delivers the final blow that sends the remaining Galra ships running, we've won. We fly back to the ship and put our lions in the hanger. Once inside the ship, we take off our armour and head to the control room.

"Good job paladins, another win." Allura says looking at us happily "You showed leadership, Shiro."

"I couldn't have done it without Pidge and Hunk setting up that big group of ships." Shiro replies

"Yeah, but did you see Keith's piloting? That was so cool." Hunk says smiling "And Pidge got the information as well."

"Good job everyo-." I say, but I'm cut off by Allura

"Well, then I think you all should rest before we decide our next move." Allura states and everyone filters out of the room, not even noticing me

I try to speak up again, but everyone is already gone. This isn't the first time this has happened. I never get any praise, the team is always upset with me or doesn't realise I exist. I sigh and head back to my room to sleep.

Once inside my room I take off my black bodysuit and change into the Altean pyjamas I found in the castle. I lay down in bed and turn off the light, but my mind can't rest. I keep going over every time I've been ignored or yelled at.

Usually, when we come back from a mission or planet everyone praises everyone, I do as well. I always tell Hunk he did a good job or I tell Shiro he's a good leader, but I never get any praise at all. I'm not just complimenting them to get something back but I try my hardest, and I kind of want someone to turn around and say "good job".

Maybe my hardest isn't good enough. Perhaps I need to be more like Keith, that's what everyone is always saying. Maybe if I train more and work harder, I'll be able to get praise from my team. I have to try, I don't want to be alone.

Then maybe Shiro will pay attention to me as well. Before Voltron I looked up to him as an idol, I still do, but now my celebrity crush has turned into an actual crush. Shiro always seems unreachable though, way out of my league, he is literally the perfect human being. Back on earth, everyone loved him, and he was hailed as a hero. Here he is the perfect leader and makes sure we always win. Besides I think he has something with Keith, figures, they've known each other for years.

I guess I should get up and train, there's really no point trying to sleep, I don't even deserve sleep. If I had worked harder, the team would have noticed me and praised me, this is my fault.

I sit up again and change out of my pyjamas back into my bodysuit. I walk the hallways and grab my armour from the locker room racks before walking to one of the training rooms. After checking no one is inside so I won't disturb them I head inside and begin at level 5 which is my average level.

After what feels like 10 minutes I have worked my way up to 12. I decide it's probably time for a break as all my muscles ache and my back feels like it's about to give out. I walk over to the monitor which says I've been here for six hours, oh god I need to go to bed before it's time to wake up.