seven , the barron

CHAPTER SEVEN
the barron

CHAPTER SEVENthe barron

・゜゜・.

i'm frozen in fear as the barron slowly enters our house, his blade of a hand still being held up to jake's neck. he grins evilly at us children, who stand frightened on the staircase.

"children! would you come downstairs please?" he cackles, his white eyes staring hungrily over every one of us.

millard and i stand in place, out bodies side by side. claire, only being little, abides by barron's word and begins to step down. enoch pulls her back, holding onto her pink dress.

"i give the orders in this house, mr barron." miss peregrine says sharply.

"not today." barron states, "you should know that jake has served his purpose. if you value his life i suggest everyone does as they're told. children!"

"shush!" miss peregrine holds up a finger, "no one tells my children what to do."

mr barron's eyebrows are raised, as if surprised at the bravery of miss peregrine.

"children," miss peregrine turns to us, "come down here please."

we begin to slowly walk down the stairs, none of us taking our eyes off of barron.

"miss peregrine-" barron begins, but is cut off by miss peregrine. "i thought i told you to be quiet." she says harshly. he closes his mouth.

"children, for jake's safety, we're going to do what mr barron asks. he wishes to take me to his rendezvous in blackpool. so for his protection, he'd like me to assume bird form, preferably caged. he'd like you to make your way into a lockable room, such as the parlour, as he won't release jake if he fears an attack could be mounted upon him once he looses his leverage... correct mr barron?" mr barron looks flustered.

if not for the situation, i would've smirked proudly at miss peregrine.

"you're sacrificing yourself and all of us for jake?" enoch questions, standing at the front of the group.

"mr barron travels with a hollow, enoch. once it arrives here, we're all dead." miss peregrine states with a clenched jaw.

mr barron, once again, smiles wickedly.

"enoch," horace whispers in front of me, "only jake can see them. she means he's our only hope."

we begin to make our way into the parlour. i let go of millard's hand so we can form into a single line. i'm at the back, and i watch bitterly as the children pass miss peregrine, saying a silent goodbye.