Fourteen

I pulled up to Jack's house and shut off my car. I didn't know if he was even home but I was going to find out. I knocked on the door and waited.

I had gone home and showered and changed right after I left Sam's house. I had run a brush through my hair and put a beanie on to cover it up a little, and put on a pair of jean shorts and an old Westside t-shirt.

The door swung open and Jack's dad stood on the other side.

"Hi. Is Jack home?" I asked.

"No. I think he stayed at a friend's house last night," he said.

"Okay. Thanks," I said and turned around.

"Do you want me to tell him you stopped by?"

I turned back around and thought about it for a second, "Um. No, actually. Thanks though."

I got back in my car and thought about calling Jack. I couldn't decide if  calling him would be worth it because I figured the 'friend' he was probably with was that girl and it broke my heart. But I needed to talk to him. I gave in and grabbed my phone. I opened my contacts, scrolled until I saw Jack Gilinsky and pressed call. He answered on the third ring.

"Lakyn?" he asked, he sounded like he just woke up. I looked at the clock and realized he probably had.

"Sorry. I didn't realize it was so early. I'll just call you later."

"No it's fine. What's up?" he said, suddenly alert.

"I just wanted to talk about last night. But I want to talk in person," I told him.

"Where?"

"I-I don't know. I'm at your house but your dad said you weren't home."

"Yeah. Stay there. I'll be there in ten," he said and hung up.

***

I sat in my car and ten minutes later Jack's black Jeep pulled into his driveway. I got out of my car and walked over to him. He smiled when he saw me.

"I'm so sorry about last night, Lakyn," Jack said. He sounded like he meant it.

"I'm sorry, too," I said.

"You have nothing to be sorry about. I hate what I did and if I could take it back I would," he grabbed my hands.

"Me too," I said, still not mentioning Sam. "Did you sleep with that girl last night?"

He looked everywhere except at me.

"Is that who's house you were at?"

He still wasn't looking at me. I nodded in understanding.

"Are we still together?" I asked.

"I hope so. I know that the past three months I have been acting like the biggest dick on the planet but I love you and I want to try to make it up to you."

"Jack. Last night after I saw you with that girl I went to Sam's house." I had to tell him. I didn't want him to take all the blame on how fucked up we were. "We got high and talked for a while. I fell asleep in his bed and this morning as I was leaving," I paused, "I kissed him."

He clenched his jaw, "Did you kiss him or did he kiss you?"

"I kissed him," I admitted. "He would never kiss me."

"I wouldn't be so sure of that. Everyone knows he's had a thing for you since Sophomore year."

Apparently not everyone; it was news to me. I wasn't that good looking that Jack Gilinsky and Sam Wilkinson would have a thing for me.