Prologue

6 years ago

Camila grabbed the boxes, put on her slippers, yelled a good morning to her Mom in the living room, rushed past through the door of her house, ran towards her best friend's house, rushed past through the main door before she heard Clara who was nowhere in sight.

"Morning Camila!" Clara, her best friend's mom yelled. 

"Morning Mama J. Is she still in bed?" Camila answered back facing towards the wide open kitchen, where she assumed Clara was.

"I hope not. You do a better job at waking her up, anyway." Finally, she could see Clara, who earlier was ducked down behind the kitchen island. Knowing Clara like a second mother, Camila knew that the lady just woke up not more than half an hour ago but still she looked like she was ready for a ramp walk in her fluffy gown.

Clara was reading something from behind the cereal box in her hand with a confused face but didn't forget to give Camila a polite smile before she went back to it.

Camila shook her head in amusement and ran upstairs. She didn't only love her best friend but also her best friend's family. Especially Mike and Clara Jauregui. The whole family of Jauregui's was a second family to Camila.

Camila rushed past the door of her best friend's room as she jumped and landed straight on her best friend.

"Wake up sleepy head!"

She heard a groan before a pillow hit her face.

"Okay, I will act like that didn't happen cause it's your birthday but if you don't wake like right now there would be consequences."

"Camzz" Lauren whined.

"No Camzzing right now. Rise and shine. I brought your gifts."  Camila said sitting up.

"Where are they?" Lauren sat up too and said with an exciting but still groggy voice.

"Right here. Happy Birthday, Lo. You are once again a year older than me" Camila giggled and handed out the gifts to Lauren. But Lauren was just staring at them when putting them in her lap. Camila was about to ask what was it about when she spoke up.

"I want something else from you first," Lauren said picking up the gifts from her lap and keeping them aside for a minute.

"What?" Camila asked confused.

Lauren got up from her side and walked towards Camila. She pulled Camila so she could stand up from the bed and gave her a tight hug. Camila was taken a little back from how Lauren was acting. Soon she heard a sob.

Camila pulled back so she could see Lauren's face "Hey? Why are you crying?"

Lauren let out a breathy laugh before speaking. "Now I understand. The happy tear are actually real." She wasn't ever the emotional one but when she is with her best friend it seems like all her emotions are heightened.

Camila was still confused. She led Lauren to bed so that they both can sit down.

"Umm okay? But I wish you a happy birthday every year just like this way or sometimes another. Look, Lo, I know you are always happy to see me, I mean who isn't but please don't turn into an emotional ball right now. I completely understand because I am so charming and all. People tend to act like that, but I don't like tears in your eyes." Camila said with a sincere smile despite her playful comment as she used her palm to clear the wetness on green-eyed latina's face.

Lauren shook her head and laughed a little at what Camila said. "Shut up Camz. Why do you have to speak something like that? I am telling you. You really need to keep your cockiness in check, young lady. A girl wouldn't exactly like that when she is crying." Lauren looked at the bare face of her favorite girl in the world as another smiled automatically made a way to her face to which she didn't even know the reason to. Lauren smiled wider and looked away shyly when Camila looked at Lauren with her real smile before looking back at her again.