55. Fireworks

Back at school, two students transfer in from Beauxbatons. I don't remember transfers... Their names are Sydney McVeich, who's in Gryffindor, and Olivia McDonald, also Gryffindor. Sydney has really dark brown hair, and wears blue glasses. Olivia has black hair.

I get to know them a few days into the term, and it turns out they're not completely French. They were born in New Zealand, like Hazel and I. Emma-Leigh isn't British either, so I guess I'll have to ask.

I ask Sydney about her family, and she replies that her parents are travellers, and when it was time for her to go to school, they were in France. Olivia was brought to France especially to go to Beauxbatons, but she got expelled. Apparently setting fire to somebody's hair is frowned upon.

So she moved here, much to her delight. I bet she did that on purpose. Halfway through our talk, Emma-Leigh decides to show up and clarify that she is one of us.

I mind speak to Hazel, and she hurries over to us.

"We have to stick together, guys. Agreed?" I say to them all.

"Yes!" They cheer.

So from that day on, we are the Kiwi Rejects. Why rejects? We've all been rejected by someone close to us.

Over the next month, I get better at flying. At the moment, I'm on the Quidditch pitch, trying to fly. I close my eyes, and jump. I feel myself floating higher.

"Good. Now control it as you would control a broom." Says Severus, evidently moving closer. He was standing back earlier in case I shot into him or something. It's happened.

I fly for a few seconds, before toppling out of the air, and face-planting.

"Whoops." I say once I sit up. "That went well."

"That was good. Focus more next time. I think you've done enough. Good work, Belle."

"Well, I have a good teacher." I smile as I stand up, then wince. "I might have broken a bone."

Severus waves his wand, and I wince as my bones click back in place.

"It was just a dislocation. That's enough for today, let's get back to the castle."

I nod and follow him away from the pitch. The Quidditch trials have happened, and Hazel has got in. Her first match is soon. I knew she could do it.

I run up to the common room to do homework with Hermione. Haha, that rhymes. Once we're done, the twins bombard us with skiving snackboxes. Shouldn't they be working on their grand exit?

I sigh and turn to Sydney, and realise she's not there. I climb the stairs to our dorm, and she is nowhere to be seen. Olivia is reading or something on her bed. I walk back down the stairs.

"Anybody seen Sydney?"

"No, she left a while ago." Says Hermione. I see Dean Thomas looking around as well, probably for Seamus.

I decide to go looking for her. After a while when the sun is starting to sink, I hear rattling in a broom cupboard. I open the door and quickly close it.

So that's where Sydney and Seamus are. Lucky me they were just kissing.

I sigh and climb the moving stairs back to the common room and enter.

"They're in a broom cupboard." I say to Dean. "Seamus and Sydney."

"That was quick."

I chuckle and turn back to Hermione, who is tending to Harry's hand.

"Yo Harry, stop driving the crazy woman mad."

"She refuses to believe me!"

"Well, that's her problem. She's going to be next on the list if she decides to be blind, but you" I point to him. "have to keep your head down and just do your stuff."