68. Bithdays and mama birds

I stand near the water, under a tree. I hear birds chirping in the trees nearby. It's so peaceful here...

"Boo."

I shriek and hear a laugh.

"That's not funny, George."

"You should have seen your face. How's your father?"

"Good, now that he's got that job. Is Tonks okay?"

"Doesn't talk too much. She's still really bummed."

"She'll get better soon, I hope."

He sits down and pats the ground next to him. I lie down there and he starts playing with my hair. I close my eyes, taking in the peace.

"Will you be staying next year?" He asks quietly, after a while.

"I have to, if I want that teaching job."

"Your hair's soft."

I smile, and open my eyes, rolling over so I'm facing him. The sun shines through his hair, making it look like its on fire.

"I never want this moment to end."

"Me neither." He lies down beside me, and I rest my head on his shoulder. It's silent for a while, and we hear laughing coming from somewhere by the castle. Hazel and Jordan decide to sit down beside us.

"It's too hot in the castle." Says Hazel. "We decided to come out here to see what you were doing."

"Hey George, you never told me why you were here." Says Lee.

"I'm protecting Isabelle from the dark forces."

I roll my eyes. "Yeah right. He's just scouting Hogsmeade for a new place to set up Weasley's Wizard Wheezes." That's a complete lie but Lee isn't part of the Order.

"So why's he at Hogwarts?"

"I'm a bodyguard."

I smile. "Sure, sure."

Hazel gets up. "I'm hungry. I'll bring food back for you guys as well."

She leaves, and Lee turns to George and I.

"When's her birthday?"

"25th of November." I say without hesitation. "Planning something?"

"Yeah."

It's quiet for a bit more, and Hazel comes back.

"Food!"

()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()-()

Nothing much happens for about two months, except for Dumbledore teaching Hazel and I to apparate. He seems worn out. Time passes. On my birthday, I find a note by my bed.

Wear a dress. I'll see you tonight.

-G

I smile to myself and put the note down, getting ready for the day.

I'm seventeen now. I can go and ace that apparition test now. I'm of age. I look at Hermione's clock. It's 6:43am.

"Happy birthday." Hermione mumbles sleepily, rubbing her eyes.

"How did you know?"

"George."

"Naturally. Anyway, thanks."

"You're welcome. You can do magic outside of school now."

"I've been doing that since second year."

"What?!" She whisper-yells.

"Don't lecture me about anything. I get it, you don't approve. That doesn't change the fact that the trace never detected me."

"Wow. I guess I should have expected that, but wow."

"Yeah. Being me has it's perks." I adjust my tie. "See you at breakfast. I have to meet up withHazel. We're spending a week together."

"Why?"

"At the end of our seven days being siamese twins, it's her birthday. We have this sort of tradition."

"I was wondering why you always spent so much time together before Christmas."

"Now you know. See you later."

"Bye." She yawns and gets up, while I step out the door and down the stairs. The boys pounce on me, singing happy birthday.

"You'll wake the whole castle up." I grumble. "Did George tell you too?"

"Of course. We'll give you the presents after school. Snape wants to see you as well."

"Oh, yay. I'll go see him now. Bye."

"See you at breakfast."

I race through the corridors, apologising to Hazel in my head. She replies, saying it's fine and she'll see me at the breakfast table.

Soon, I'm knocking on Severus's door.

"Come in."

"Hi!"

"Happy seventeenth." He hands me a small package. "Open it."

Inside is a small gold watch. I smile as he helps me put it on.

"It's beautiful." I whisper. It shimmers in the light, and I move it around, watching as small gems in it catch the light. "It must have cost you a fortune. I would have been fine with something less expensive, honestly."

"Your daughter doesn't turn seventeen every day, now does she?"

"I wish I had been there for your seventeenth. Did you get a gold watch?"

"My mother couldn't afford one. I got one from a lady. She claimed that she would be there for me when I needed her, and she was. She was always there, watching over me like a guardian angel. She always knew when I needed help. She was like a guardian angel. She even helped me with the emotional pain when Lily died."

"What was her name?"

"She never told me her real one. She said to call her 'mama bird'."

"She sounds nice."

"She left a while after the death, though. I never heard from her again."

"Where do you think she is?"

"Six feet underground, probably. Anyway, happy birthday."

"Thanks. I'm hungry."

"Go have breakfast." He chuckles.

"Okay. See you later."

I skip off to the great hall, linking arms with Hazel when I pass her. Let the day begin.

_________________________________

So I guess I'll be writing a sequel when the time comes.

Who's that lady?!

If you're Cheese, you can kind of put two and two together. Please don't spoil it for everybody else.

Yes, I have one friend called Macaroni, and the other is called Cheese.

QOTC: what's the weirdest nickname you've ever heard of?

Please vomment!

~Ericano