Chapter 2

Sensitive topic warning

-

I silently hang up the phone and chuck it across the floor. What could be so urgent that she needed me in tomorrow morning?

-

I woke up and my heart was racing. I was so nervous to go to the doctor's today. I grab something to eat for breakfast and run out to find Ashton waiting for me.

"Hey you" He says going in for a hug. I push him away. Not wanting anyone to touch me. I was just pissed and scared. "Oh... Sorry."

"Ash just drive to school please." I demanded.

I was so happy that he was dropping me off early today because that would give me time to get to the hospital. I wanted to hide this because I do not want anyone to worry about me.

I lean over to kiss Ashton on the forehead right before I get out of the car, "Sorry Ash."

"It's okay." He laughs.

I step out and frantically run to my locker to put my stuff away. Being the smart girl I am, I had a taxi come and pick me up. On the ride to the hospital, I was getting texts from all of the boys. I ignored every single one. Even though it hurt so much to do that, I had to. I knew they all cared about me. They were like brothers to me. But, I had fight through the urge of texting them back.

The taxi drops me off at the hospital and I slowly walk in to be greeted by the woman at the front desk. "Hi, can I get your name sweetie?"

"Oh, I am Scarlett Johnson," I mumbled.

"Please have a seat in our waiting room on the second floor, your doctor will be with you shortly."

I took the elevator to the second floor because I know I would be out of breath. I sat in my chair, my legs were shaking uncontrollably and that's when the doctor calls my name. I take a deep breath and head on in with her.

"So yesterday, you came to participate at the blood drive," I nod as she continues to speak, " Well, we found something. Do you have any family here with you right now? Do you maybe want to bring them in?"

"No, I can handle this." I tell the doctor. While she was talking to me, I looked her dead in the eyes. She looked familiar, but I couldn't remember how I knew her.

"Scarlett, there is no easy way to tell you this but," She pauses while taking a deep breath, "You have cancer. Leukemia to be exact. We will still need to do some testing to see what stage you are at."

I sat there, wanting to cry but I just couldn't.

The first words to come out of my mouth weren't normal for someone who just found out that they have cancer. "Please, don't tell anyone. Not even my family. I don't want them to worry about me. Well, don't tell them yet."

"Of course, you tell them when you are ready."

That's when it hit me.

"AUNT CAROL" I yell. "No, I can't do this, I need a new doctor now."

"I know what I did was wrong okay? But I am a great doctor and I happen to be one of the best in the state. Please let me treat you." She tells me while putting her hand on my shoulder.

I push it away and look her straight in the eyes, "Fine. But this doesn't fix anything that you have done."

"As long as I can keep you healthy." She tells me while handing me a book about the cancer.

I walk out of the hospital, not wanting to go to school. So I don't. I have the taxi driver take me home and I go upstairs slowly to sit on my bed. I was afraid to open this book. But, I knew I had to.