Chapter 9

Ashton's POV

When I heard those words come from Scarlett's mouth, I wanted to cry. She knows she isn't a waste of space. I don't want those words to ever come out of her mouth again.

"Scarlett, hun," I say while putting my hands on her shoulders. "You are nothing close to being a waste of space. Don't you ever say that again. You are a strong and beautiful girl with many talents. Everyone has a purpose on this world. Whether it's a big purpose or a small one. Right now, you have impacted my life and I need you. I can't let you think that you're a waste of space. You're nothing close." I say while giving her a kiss on her forehead.

I see tears forming in the corners of her eyes and I wipe them away. "I am sorry. It's just that this whole cancer thing sucks." Scarlett says while frowning.

"No need to be sorry. Just realize you're worth more than what you think. Now let's go inside and have fun. Ok?" I say while interlocking my fingers with hers.

We walk in to our house and we go straight to the kitchen. I go to the refrigerator and get out cookie dough and I see that Scarlett has a huge smile on her face. "That's what I like to see!" I say while smiling back at her.

I set the cookie dough out on the pan and turn around to wash my hands.

"Shhh..." Calum whispers while stealing some cookie dough. Scarlett starts laughing and I turn around to see an idiot with his mouth full of cookie dough.

"I hope you get the shits!" I say to Calum.

He laughs and then walks into the living room and starts harassing Michael.

My phone lights up and I notice that I am getting a phone call from an unknown number.

"Hello? This is Ashton speaking." I say.

"Hi! This is Luke's nurse. Sorry to call on a personal number but his parents didn't answer when I called over there. Anyways, you can come pick him up now and I'll explain everything that's going on with him when you come to pick him up."

"Wait what's wrong with him?" I asked. Everyone walked over to me, worried about what was going on.

"Please just come here and I will explain in person." The nurse hung up and I looked to see everyone patiently waiting for me to talk.

"Alright, let's go get Luke back!" I tell them while grabbing the car keys, heading out the door.

"B-but what's wrong with him?" Sarah asked.

"I don't know yet. She said she would tell us in person."

We all head in the car and slowly pull up to the hospital. The car ride was silent and we all slowly walk in to the hospital.

"Hi, we are here for Luke Hemmings." I tell the secretary.

"Room 124."

Scarlett was slowly walking behind, talking with Michael. She was probably sad about being here, I mean who wouldn't be?

I see the nurse walk out of his room and she sighs with a smile at us. "Glad to see you all came. So here's the deal. The doctors successfully removed his brain tumor but as of now, he doesn't remember anything. He may remember you guys but I doubt it because he can't even remember his own name. The doctors don't know how long it'll last but hopefully not that long. At least the tumor is gone though." She tells us, trying to get us to crack a smile.

"I can't go in there. I can't do it. That's my best friend and not being able to see him as himself is going to tear me apart." Scarlett says while crying. "I'm sorry." She continued to say while backing away from the door.

"Scarlett!!" I yell after her. "Please come back!"

"I'll be in the waiting room." I hear her yell.

I sigh. And then I sigh again before opening the door and I see him back in his regular clothes, sitting on the bed. His blond hair was now shaved down in one area and the stitches were highly visible.

I smile at him, "Hi, I'm Ashton. Do you remember me?"

Everyone stands behind me, hoping for the best.

Luke gets up and gives me a big hug.

----------------

Should I continue?