Two

Here's the second chapter, as told from Emma's POV.

If there are any errors, please let me know. Also, if there's something that's not typically 'American', can you suggest some alternatives?

Thanks! Hope you enjoy the second chapter.

***

Emma.

I watched as Dad dismissed the team, keeping Jordan Knight behind. Dad placed his arm on Jordan’s shoulder and was giving him what I can only imagine was one of his notorious pep talks.

    I had heard of Dad’s reputation as a tough love coach, and I had seen it in practice too, but it always scared me to witness it. Ever since I can remember, my father’s life has been his family and ice hockey. If he wasn’t getting a hundred and ten per cent from his team then sometimes his pep talks spilled over into rage.

    But this was a friendly pep talk. Jordan had been made Captain after last season, and no doubt Dad wanted to give him some pointers. He did this talk at the beginning of every season and I could almost recite the speech word for word.

    “Jordan,” I whispered in an interpretation of my father’s voice. “This is a big season for us and it’s all down to you now, kid. This year is yours for the taking so grab it with both hands and take it. Don’t let anyone tell you what to do, not even me, and especially not the team.

    “Now, Jordan,” I could see my father’s lips continue to move, a smile spreading across his face as he spoke. “You’re the captain so it’s down to you to lead the way for your team. Be an example, and don’t do anything stupid, kid.”

    I watched as Jordan began to skate away from my father, peeking over his shoulder to take one last look at me before he vanished into the locker room.

    Jordan had been watching me a lot today during practice and for a while it had unnerved me to the extent that I put the hood of my jacket up, pulling it over my eyes so that I could stare at him the way he stared at me. My father had been preoccupied with the weakest half of the team while Jordan had let the older members take shots at goal at their own pace giving him the opportunity to do some more Emma-watching.

    It hadn’t been the first time I’d caught Jordan Knight staring at me. He’s been doing it quite a lot over the years, but I don’t think he even knows he does it. Every once in a while I’d feel someone’s eyes on me from the back of the class, and a casual glance behind me meant that I’d catch Jordan’s eye every time. Or he’d be sitting in his room at his computer, staring into my room with an absent mind. Sometimes I’d ignore him and pretend that I hadn’t noticed, other times I’d get up to shut the blinds, shutting him out.

    I know what Jordan Knight is like. Every girl knows his reputation, and having him stare at me the way he did, with those eyes, sent shivers down my spine. Shivers I really didn’t want nor welcome.

    “So, Emma,” my dad’s voice pierced my thoughts. He sat beside me, his feet resting on the back of the chair in front of him, his muscled arms crossed over his chest. “What do you think of the team this year?”

    I smile, glad that he still likes to hear my opinion on things as important as this. Hockey, as it had been with my father, was in my blood. Dad coached now, but he’d been a Pro in his younger days before a knee injury saw his career end. My grandfather had played, and my brother had shown a lot of promise too. But that had cruelly been cut short.

    “Well,” I smile, placing my head on my father’s shoulder. “The older ones like Adam Langer are great, but they should be by now. They’ve had three years of you as their own personal torturer on ice. And the new ones? I’m sure they’ll pick it up soon enough.”