Thirty-Seven

Last but one chapter of Heartbeat. Just to warn you, there is a sex-scene in this chapter. Sorry...

*

JORDAN

It had been days since Emma and I reconciled, and in that time we hadn’t stopped talking. For a while we talked about me; Emma had wanted to get all the answers for her Peer Class presentation so that she could do it justice. She’d thanked me for the way I had edited mine, even the final montage where I’d decided to include her brother. She said she was glad I had mentioned him because a lot of other people wouldn’t have. Like I had told her, he was a part of her and I couldn’t begin to understand her without knowing about him.

Emma talked about Alex openly after, recounting stories from their childhood. Some parts were a little grey with her, as if she couldn’t remember the details herself but she continued anyways. Sometimes Adam would help with some of her stories if he were around to hear them, and I couldn’t help but get the feeling that there was more to their friendship than I had thought.

When I asked Emma if I should be worried about it, she laughed as if I’d just said the worst joke in the world. I had nothing to worry about, she assured me just before admitting to kissing Adam when they were kids. I almost fell off the bed at the revelation but the more I thought about it, the funnier it actually was.

“Do you still love him?” I joked, pretending to be more jealous than I was.

“Shut up,” Emma raised her eyebrow at me indignantly. “That boy is a lost cause. And I never actually loved him; it was a game of dare.”

“I know,” I smile teasingly. “Although, I do think there’s some underlying sexual tension between him and Zoe.”

I reposition myself next to her on her bed, thankful that Coach Lane was away for the weekend. Emma had told me about her parent’s separation and although she didn’t really want to talk about it, she did. Since Monday, Emma had been to see Dr. Warren almost every afternoon. Emma finally felt like she was making progress, and as she continued to open her head and her heart to me, I couldn’t disagree.

Emma leaned closer to me, allowing me to wrap my arms around her waist as I planted a kiss on her soft lips. She smiled against me as she moved herself to straddle me, her fingers entwined in my hair as she kissed me deeper.

We hadn’t talked about sex for a while; not since that night and I hadn’t wanted to push her further. This was enough for me, to hold her in my arms and know that she loved me. I didn’t need any more unless she needed more, and even then I wasn’t sure if I could give it to her.

“Jordan?” Emma whispered as she pulls away, searching me for approval. “I think there might be some underlying sexual tension between us, too. And when I say ‘some’, I mean ‘a lot.’”

I nod. I try to formulate words but there’s nothing there. I’m scared to speak.

Emma sits upright above me as she starts to unbutton her shirt. I watch as she pops the first three at the top but then suddenly find myself stopping her. I hold my hands above hers and lower them until they’re at her side. For a split second I see a flash of disappointment wash over her delicate face, but the disappointment soon turns to arousal when I pick up where she left off.