Nineteen

Hi Everyone! Sorry it's been so long since I last posted an update for Heartbeat... This week got manic and I let Heartbeat suffer because of it. Anyway, we're back on track now!

Here's chapter nineteen, and Chapter twenty to follow!

*

JORDAN

The hospital waiting room was filled with Emma’s friends, including me.

When I saw Logan carrying Emma into the house, her body limp, and Zoe on the phone to the emergency room, I knew that something bad had happened. I immediately pushed Abigail away from me and ran over to Emma, but Holly pushed me away before I knew what was going on.

I tried to follow as Brady led them out the door and to the car, but Adam and Sam held me back, my fingers pulling at my hair in frustration. After a few minutes I couldn’t take it anymore and I ran for the door, grabbing Sam’s car keys from the key hook as I went.

I beeped the car open and as I went for the handle, Sam stopped me.

“Sam,” I pleaded. “I have to go make sure she’s ok. Please.”

“I know,” he nods determinedly. “Adam and I are coming with you, but I’m driving. You’re not in any state to get behind the wheel.”

When we got to the hospital there was chaos. Emma had been taken into a treatment room while Logan was sat filling in Emma’s details on the medical form, Zoe and Holly shouting at one another in the corner. Brady was leaning against the wall, his head back with his eyes closed.

I saw my father enter the treatment room where Emma was lying on the bed looking like a lost, fragile doll. In that moment I wanted nothing more than to pick her up and hold her in my arms forever, but I knew that I would never be able to do that.

I walk towards the door, but Brady stops me. His eyes are dark and furious and I guess that the girls and Logan have told him what I’ve done.

“Don’t go in there,” he snaps at me.

“Brady,” Logan’s voice is too tired to argue as he sighs heavily. “It’s not his fault. Well, not entirely. Just give him a break, ok?”

I turn to look at Logan, trying to determine if he’s the same person that I thought he was. He looked slightly pathetic sitting in the chair, the paperwork before him only half completed. He hung his head in his hands and rubbed his eyes before going back to the forms.

Once Logan finished, he returned the form and spoke to the nurse behind the station, pleading with her to let him see her. She relented eventually and escorted him into the room where Emma was. I heard him talk to Dr. Lane before the door closed and a sudden wave of emotion flooded me.

I sat in one of the waiting room chairs and dropped my head into my hand, letting the tears escape me as I try to block out the blame game Zoe and Holly are playing.