The Story of Tonight (Part 2) [ch. 13]

No matter what they tell you

Alexander opened his eyes to a blinding light. He first assumed it was a hospital, but then he noticed he was standing, and only feet in front of him stood John only, he looked much healthier. Without hesitation he ran over and wrapped his arms around him, letting himself cry a little bit. John wrapped his arms around him, and Alexander noticed he was freezing cold.

"Alexander, you have to listen. Thomas still needs you." John kissed the top of his head and Alexander looked up at him.

"But, I miss you. I miss you so much, John."

"I know, Alex. But you're still so young. You can't join me just yet." John seemed so calm, and it was only angering Alexander. He pulled away and looked him over.

"John please. Please. I can't take it anymore. I want to be with you again, please. Please let me die already."

"I can't, Alexander. It's not time for you to come with me yet. I need you to go back and stay with Thomas. He can take care of you."

"Please..."

"No. Do whatever you need to do to get over me, but please. You've been so happy. What about Laf and Herc? Or the Washingtons. What about Thomas, and his sisters? Are you really ready to leave them all?" Alexander shook his head at John's words. He was right. There was so much. It was too easy to let go though... To come join John wherever he was and wait patiently for the others to join them. But if he let go, what would it do to the others?

"Okay."

John smiled. "I love you, Alexander. Stay strong for me."

The next thing Alexander knew there was darkness, then nothing.

»»————- ————-««

Raise a glass to all of us.

The amount of relief that flooded through everyone when a nurse came out to tell them he was stable again was unbelievable. "But for now, he can no longer have visitors until we know he is completely stable. I suggest going home and getting some rest, we'll call when we know for sure." Thomas saw everyone nod, and he knew he should agree, but he didn't want to leave Alexander. Not after what had just happened.

Before Thomas got a chance to argue, Lafayette grabbed his wrist and started dragging him away. Deciding it wasn't worth it to argue, he let himself be dragged into a car, driven back to the college, and dragged to Lafayette and Hercules' dorm. "I should go get some of my things Laf-"

Thomas had tried to slip away, but Lafayette was insistent. "Nonsense. I will go get your things, as I don't think I can trust you to be in there alone right now." Before he got another work in Lafayette left, leaving Thomas alone with Hercules.

"I'd just give it up. Besides, I'd bet you almost anything he's going to steal one of Alexander's sweaters. He did the same thing after John..." Hercules trailed off and Thomas understood why. It had become almost a mutual agreement that they didn't directly say it, but everyone knew.

"Alright..." He sat on the couch and pulled his knees to his chest, closing his eyes. "This whole thing just sucks. Like it's one thing after another and we never seem to get a break."

Hercules snorted, and when Thomas opened his eyes he noticed for the first time that Hercules had been crying. His eyes were bloodshot and puffy, and it looked like he hadn't slept much. "You can say that again. Alexander and John were like the glue to our little group. Without John, I never would have met Laf, and had Alexander not come along John would have been gone much sooner."