Session 12

Patient: Alexander William Gaskarth

Notes: seems to be trying to forget, a new emotion in his voice; unknown

-Dr. Bassam Barakat

-

Jack and I had quickly become good friends over the past week. Yes, of course, we still barely knew each other, but I was alone, and Jack didn't have many friends, so we found companionship in each other. I was still edgy and closed off, and I knew that he still wasn't letting something on, but I found that he could make me forget as long as I was with him. Jack was like a drug, and I was becoming addicted. We hung out so much more, and I was always longing for the feeling of letting go. My parents were happy that I was finally socializing, and I was happy that I had found a temporary cure. Of course, I still felt numb without Jack, and I still locked myself in my room to cry and scream, but it was better than nothing.

Dr. Barakat was aware that his son and I had become a little more than acquaintances, and he was perfectly fine. He said that Jack needed more friends, as he wasn't being entirely accepted at school. I wondered why, but I didn't dare ask. But now, rather than dreading sessions with the doctor, I liked them a little more. After all, Jack was usually there.

Today, after therapy, I was going to Jack's house to sleep over. Mom was ecstatic that I was making a friend, and I felt a little better since she was happy.

"How are you feeling, Alex?" Dr. Barakat asked, peering over his lenses. I shrugged.

"I guess I'm fine," I replied listlessly, willing the session to go by faster. I suppose Dr. Barakat heard a glint of something besides dead depression and frustration, as he cocked his head to the side.

"Do you feel any different?" he inquired.

"Not really," I admitted. "I guess the time is taking its toll." I couldn't tell him that it was excitement in my voice, and that it was excitement to see his son. That would be weird.

"Yes, time might be slowly healing your internal wounds," the doctor noted, scribbling on his notepad. "You're having a sleepover with my son today, right?"

"Y-Yessir," I muttered, a little tense. Was he going to judge me or expand on it?

"Ah, I see," Dr. Barakat said. "Can I ask you a favor, Alex?"

"Um... Sure."

"I know that you're going through an immensely hard time right now," he began, setting down his pen. "But please try not to lash out at Jack. He's having... difficulties at school."

"I won't, Dr. Barakat," I assured the doctor. "But difficulties at school?"

Dr. Barakat studied me for a moment. "Well, I suppose it isn't for me to say," he said at last, shrugging. "Jack will tell you when the time comes."

"O-Okay..."

The session continued on, and my excitement was replaced with confusion and curiosity. Jack was being bullied at school? A foreign feeling bubbled in my stomach, and only later did I realize that it was protectiveness.

After therapy, Jack and Joe were waiting in the lobby, and when I emerged from the hallway, Jack waved me over.

"Hey Alex!" he peeped as I walked over, flashing me his adorable, timeless smile. "Do you wanna go?"

"Yeah, let's go," I replied. "Hey Joe."

"Sup, Alex." The three of us made our way out of the building and into Joe's car. Today, instead of Blink-182, the stereo was emitting the music of New Found Glory. The entire ride to Jack's house, we made small talk and joked about random things, and it was quite fun. Part of me wondered if Tom had stayed in the states, would he have done this? Would we have been listening to cool songs in his car whilst having a good time? The knot in my chest threatened to dissolve into tears, but instead of crying, I let out a loose laugh as Joe finished telling a funny anecdote, brushing away the pressure in my ribcage. We pulled up in the Barakats' driveway and piled out. Joe unlocked the door for us, and we entered the house.