Coma

*A Month Later*

"Do you think she'll wake up?" Cailey asks, sitting next to Sam's hospital bed, leaning with her elbows on her knees.

"I don't know," Justin sighs. "Hey, how long has it been since you went home?"

"Three days," she admits with a yawn, standing and stretching. "Why?"

"Cailey, go home," he orders. "Get some rest, take a shower, and, I don't know, bring me back some real food, okay? I'll takeover watching her for now."

"'Kay," she agrees. "Promise you'll call if she wakes up?"

"Promise," he chuckles, shaking his head at her as she leaves.

"Hey Cay," a voice greets outside the room. "Finally going home to get some rest?"

"Yep," Cailey sighs, running her hand through her dirty, knotted hair before getting on the elevator.

"Hey, Justin," Theo says, walking in with a bouquet of flowers. "Don't mind me- I'm only here to replace the old flowers. I can't stay long, though. Work."

"I hear ya," Justin nods. "I'm going to have to leave soon, too. Just taking over watching her for Cailey for now."

"Zac should be here soon," Theo informs him, looking at his watch. "Gets off work in about ten minutes. In case you need someone to watch her."

"Yeah, thanks, I appreciate it," Justin admires. "Y'all helping us."

"Eh, it's the least we could do," Theo shrugs, changing out the flowers. "You guys should be with her. And you can't do that, work, and pay the bills."

"Have you guys told Lucas she's here?" Justin asks.

"Uh, not yet," Theo admits, rubbing the back of his neck guiltily.

"You should," Justin points out, heading out the room. "I'll let you have a few minutes with her. I'm going to go get a jello."

"Subtle," Theo chuckles, tucking a strand of Sam's hair behind her ear. "Hey baby. I don't know if you can hear me, but I just want to apologize for what I said that day. I know I say this everytime I visit, but I'm sorry. I just wish you'd wake up, tell me I'm an idiot, and we could go back home."

"You're an idiot," Zac jokes, standing at the doorway. "Now what?"

"Not you, asshole," Theo laughs. "Guess you got off early?"

"My movie, my rules," Zac tells him. "'Sides, it was only like, ten minutes early."

"Hey, Zac!" Justin greets, walking in with a cherry jello cup. "You're here early! Let me guess, your movie, your rules?"

"Yep," Zac chuckles. "How's Cailey doing?"

"Well, I had to send her home earlier," Justin sighs. "Hadn't gone home in three days, if that tells you anything."

"So not good?" Zac assumes sadly. "Poor thing."

"Yeah," Justin nods, grabbing his stuff. "Anyways, I gotta go to work. Our numbers are all on that board in case anything happens."

"Yeah, I'll walk you out," Theo offers. "I gotta get going, too."

*A Week Later*

"Hey guys, my name is Eleanor," a nurse introduces. "Call me Ellie, though."

"Hi, Ellie," Chirs greets.

"I hate to do this," Ellie sighs. "But-"

"You need us to leave?" Miles assumes. "So you can move her?"

"Yeah, actually," she says, shocked. "How'd you-"

"It's not the first time they've moved her," Theo informs her as they all leave. "We'll be in the cafeteria. Come find us when we can come back in."

*2 Weeks Later*

"Hey Lucas," Theo says into Sam's phone. "Theo speaking. "Just wanted you to know Sam was in a wreck two months ago and has been in the hospital since.

"Why are you just now calling me and telling me about this?" Lucas screams through the phone.

"Because I was given her phone yesterday," Theo explains. "And I just figured out how she's been talking to you this morning. And I just figured how to call you on Snapchat a few minutes ago."

"Oh, that makes sense," Lucas sighs understandingly. "So, how is she?"

"She, uh," Theo hesitates. "She's in... She's... She's in a coma. She's due to wake up any day now and she's here at Lenox Health Greenwich Village Hospital."

"Can I see her?" Lucas asks.

"Yeah, but she's not awake," Theo informs him. "I'll send you the address."

"I'll be there as fast as I can," Lucas lets him know.

Theo texts him the address, then sits down next to Sam's hospital bed, wondering if he did the right thing.

"Too late now," he mutters to himself.

"Hi, I'm here to see a Miss Sam Taylor," Lucas tells the receptionist behind the desk, just getting off the elevator.

"Down the hall, third door on your right," she tells him.

Lucas walks in, holding a giant teddy bear and a bouquet of roses. He lays the roses down on the table next to Sam's hospital bed, then sets the bear down on a chair. Not even acknowledging Theo in the room, he goes up to Sam's bed, leans over, tucks her hair behind her ear, and kisses her forehead.

"Hey doll," he whispers, inches away from her face. "It's Lucas. I'm here, babygirl."

"You want me to put those roses in some water?" Theo offers, interrupting Lucas's moment with Sam.

"Oh, um, sure thing," Lucas coughs, standing up and shoving his hands in his pockets awkwardly. "Uh, thanks, man."

"No problem," Theo shrugs before leaving.

Lucas takes Sam's hand in his, bringing it to his face. He kisses her hand softly. He puts her hand down just as Theo returns. Lucas turns to him as Theo puts a new vase with fresh water on the table. Then, he puts the roses Lucas brought in the vase.

"There you go," Theo announces, clapping and rubbing his hands together. "Now, uh, tell me about yourself, Lucas."

"Well, what do you want to know?" Lucas asks.

"Well, all I really know about you," Theo starts, "Is your name, your appearance, and the fact that you're a delivery guy at Atomic Wings."

"Well, my full name is Lucas Elijah Williams," he informs Theo. "I'm 18, born on August 15th, 1998. I used live with my dad for the summer only, but now I live with full time. My mom is Theresa Adams, my dad is Stephen Williams. I get my green eyes and tan skin from my mom, and just everything else from my dad. I do backyard football every summer and work as a delivery guy at Atomic Wings."

"Backyard football, huh?" Theo repeats. "What's that?"

"It's football played in our backyard," Lucas explains. "Which is really just an old, abandoned field. It's for the kids who can't afford to play real football. Me and my best friend Robert Thomas coach two teams- one for kids ages five to ten, and one for kids ages eleven to fifteen. The older group was actually invited to play against a real football team this year."

"That's impressive," Theo admires. "And I bet the kids love it."

"Yeah, they do," Lucas agrees.

"So, Sam's people are going to be dropping by in a while," Theo sighs, standing up. "They're probably going to want to meet you. However, I have to go. I start work in half an hour and I look a mess."

"I'll stay with her till they get here," Lucas offers as Theo goes to leave.

"Thanks, man," Theo mocks jokingly, making Lucas chuckle.