Getting Hired

"From: **********@*****.***
  To: thelifeofablondie@gmail.com
  Subject: Your Resume
'Congratulations Ms. Sam Taylor. We were very impressed with your resume and credentials. We would like to interview you and possibly hire you. The interview will be this Friday at 3:00 pm. However, due to our busy schedules, it will have to be a video chat interview through Skype. Below is our Skype information. .....'"

Oh my God! But today is Friday! I literally just got this email! And it's.... 2:12 pm!

I rush to tidy up my room and try to make myself look presentable. I take down the posters I've had since I was ten, make my bed, and shove my collection of stuffed animals under my bed.

I run to my closet, trying to find something nice to wear. The nicest thing I have is my gray sleeveless jean dress. I slip out of my fuzzy pajamas and into the dress. I pair it with black leggings and run a brush through my hair.

I rush to my vanity and take a look at myself. Then, I add mascara and lip gloss. I smooth the wrinkles out of my dress and breath a sigh of relief. Oof. I quickly go brush my teeth, even though I know they won't be able to smell my breath through my laptop.

I look at my watch.

2:47. Perfect.

"Good afternoon, Mr. uh?" I say to myself, practicing what to say. "Sam, there are five misters. Alright, names, names, what are their names? It's, um, Theodore, Zachary, Christopher, and... uh, there were two more, um... Crap"

Quickly, I run to the kitchen and grab the newspaper clipping off the fridge.

Theodore, Christopher, Miles, Channing, and Zachary. Got it.

I run back to my room and plop onto my bed with my laptop just as the clock turns 2:57. I open it up, log into my Skype account, and immediately request a video chat with the Skype accounts from the email. At exactly 3:00, they all five accept the video chat.

"Hi," I immediately chirp cheerfully. Then I realize I don't see a single face on the screen- instead I see a ceiling, a chest, a shoulder, a cloudy sky, and a coffee cup. "Um, hello?"

"Hi, Sam," a British voice says. "For publicity reasons, we won't be able to show our faces. My name is Theodore."

"I'm Christopher," an Australian voice chimes.

"My name is Zac, er, Zachary."

"I'm Miles."

"And I'm Channing."

"Nice to, er, meet you all," I say awkwardly.

"Now, Sam," Theodore starts. "I see you worked at a summer camp every summer for four years."

"Yes sir," I nod.

"But, why'd you stop?" he asks.

"Because I had gotten a job that wouldn't let me have time off," I answer. "I felt it wouldn't be fair to show up some times and not at others when they need someone who can be there all the time."

"Well," Christopher says. "My turn. You were a personal trainer after that for how long exactly?"

"A year and a half," I tell him.

"So, you didn't have a job for a year and a half after that," Christopher assumes. "Is that correct?"

"Yes sir," I sigh, knowing what he's about to ask. "And before you ask, I wasn't fired- I quit."

"Why?" he asks, surprised.

"Because one of my older co-workers kept flirting with me," I admit. "It made me feel uncomfortable and it was unprofessional. So, instead of reporting him and causing his friends at work to hate me, I quit."

"Wow," he says. "Miles, your turn."

"Right," Miles agrees. "Now, why didn't you get another job for that year and a half?"

"Because I was busy bettering my education to get a better job," I inform him. "I was tired of not being able to make enough money to help my mother pay the bills."

"Wow, so this job would really help, huh?" he asks.

"Yeah," I laugh. "It really would. But I don't want you to give me the job because you pity me."

"Trust me, Sam," Channing chuckles. "We won't. Now, what made you want take the casting internship?"

"At first, it was because I was good at it and it paid the bills," I answer with a sigh. "Then, I grew to actually enjoy what I was doing."

"My turn!" Zachary announces. "Now, my question's not a very deep question like theirs."

"Let's hear it," I laugh.

"Is Sam really your first name?" he asks, completely serious. "Or is it short for something?"

"No," I grin. "It's just Sam."

"Dammit, Zac," Theodore curses. "That's not what you were supposed to ask!"

"Well, you can still ask me," I assure him. "I mean, it's not like I have much else to do."

"Very well," he sighs. "Why'd you get a degree in youth development?"

"Oh, heh," I laugh sheepishly. "It was a requirement for being a group leader by myself for the summer camp."

"But it says part of the job was-" he starts.

"Collaborating positively and professionally with co-workers," I finish for him. "I know. But I wanted to challenge myself and take on a group by myself."

"So how'd you do?" Christopher asks curiously.

"A lot better than they thought I would," I smirk. "My group ended up being full of troublemakers. But, in the end, I had them using manners their parents couldn't even get them to use."

"Huh," Zachary admires. "And, how exactly did you do that?"

"At the beginning of camp, I asked them if they packed the mandatory extra toothbrush," I explain. "They all said they didn't know they had to pack another toothbrush. I told them, 'Well I hope you don't get into any trouble then- cause that second one was for when you have to scrub the toilets as punishment. Oh well!'"

They all chuckle at that.

"Well, I think that's all," Theodore concludes. "We'll be in touch."

Then they all exited the video chat at once.

About a week later, I got an email saying,

"From: **********@*****.***
  To: thelifeofablondie@gmail.com
  Subject: Your Interview
'Congratulations Sam. You got the Job! Please pack your things and bring them to the address below:
'Apartment 309, ******* Ave., ********, **'
We look forward to see how much things change with you around.'"

SQUEEE!!!! I GOT THE JOB!