S I X - Playing Pretend

Happy reading, Sade xx

_______________________________

"Wow.." he breathed

CHARLOTTE tried to remain as unfazed as she could but on the inside she smirked as she saw Nicolas' reaction when she walked down the hallway into the living room and it was the exact one that she hoped she would get.

Nicolas De Luca, you're going to regret making me do this.

Red was the colour of vengeance and that matched her outlook on tonight. She decided on wearing a long satin red dress with a v shaped neckline, a low swooping back and thin straps on either arm. Her hair was styled in soft waves, parted at the side with a section pinned behind one ear. She kept her makeup soft and glowing by using shimmering gold hues and highlighting her collarbone and shoulders. Choosing to only to add a pop of colour on her lips in the form of a deep, sultry red and accentuating it by adding a highlight on her Cupid's bow as well.

"Let's not waste time, we have a gala to get to." She stated.

That snapped him out of his reverie, "Simon, bring the car around," he spoke into his mobile.

The ride the event was awkward to say the least, with Nicolas's constant fidgeting and neither of them making any attempts to converse with each other.

Pulling up to the gala Charlotte wasn't surprised to see one of their hotels as the venue but what did surprise her was the absence of the press outside. Something she was very appreciative of.

The Auberge was one of the De Luca's oldest hotels in the city and acts as a gallery of sorts, known for having pieces from prestigious artists. The architecture had Parisian influences with light colored exterior walls and tall Palladian windows line with black steel. It definitely stuck out like a sore thumb due to the fact that most of the buildings on the upper side of town were built to be more sleek and modern looking.

As they made their way towards the gala she was in awe of how beautiful the interior was. Nicolas must of seen her expression because when she turned she saw that his mouth morphed into a proud smile.

Nicolas extended his arm to Charlotte, who was very hesitant to take it. Both of them simultaneously took in a deep breathe as they crossed the doorway and made their way into the ballroom. It was immaculately decorated. The high ceilings had numerous light fixtures that were hung to accentuate the gigantic crystal chandelier that was situated in the center of room. The whole ballroom was trimmed with dark colours which were made more prominent with hints of gold. Not too much to make it look cheap and gaudy but just enough to give it an elegant sparkle.

The guests did not disappoint either, anyone could see the people who attended this gala had a pretty penny in their bank accounts. Men wore well tailored suits and women designer gowns of all styles and colours.

As people started to notice their presence the pair plastered on a bright smile and the facade began.

This was going to be a long night...

NICOLAS'S heart was beating at an erratic pace. Earlier the thought of Charlotte acting as his date was a comical idea which made him laugh, but now that the situation became a reality he could hardly stand it. Not only did they fail to come up with a backstory but almost everyone's gaze instantly fixated on her.

Damn her and her alluring presence.

A nearing waiter offered them both a glass of bubbly which he accepted and instantly gulped downed. Walking in further he saw both Sebastian as well as some older gentleman make their way towards the two. Luckily, Seb got to him first which caused the man to slow his pace and back away.