Chapter 1

Michael's POV

     "Can we play mafia?" Lexi asks from next to me. We are in her room anyways. We as in  the nine of us, Lexi, Danielle, Veronica, Courtney, Brady, Sergio, Drew, Chance, and I.

     "Do we have enough cards?" is Chance's automatic reaction which makes her role her eyes.

     "Of course we do. There's literally nine of us."

     "I'm down," Drew says before looking over to Veronica for her answer.

      "It sounds fun."

      "I'm in the mood for that," Brady scoots into the circle we've made on the ground.

     "Can I be he narrator?" Courtney asks from next to Brady.

      "Sure," Lexi pulls the cards out of a little game closet she has in her room somehow. Danielle probably helped her put it in. Even at that, I don't know how the school would let her put it in. We're at a boarding school after all. They're super strict. They need us to be their definition of perfect.

      "Are we playing with a mafia gang or a single mafia?" Lexi asks as she pulls out the cards we're going to need to play.

      "Let's just go with one mafia member and one doctor. That's all we can do with this many people," Sergio suggests. She nods, randomly pulling six number cards out of the deck before throwing in a king and a queen, shuffling them, and handing them to Courtney.

      "Don't cheat and purposely give your boyfriend mafia. We all know that's the most fun role," Lexi laughs as soon as she hands the cards over.

       "We know she wouldn't do that. Veronica, maybe she'd do that for Drew, but Courtney would purposely give me a townsperson to mess with me," Brady states realistically.

     "Brady, if I get the mafia, I'm coming for ya," I stick my tongue out at him.

      "Right back at you Mike," Brady tries to crack his knuckles, but he fails.

      "Okay, I'm handing out the cards. Don't look until everyone gets one," Courtney lays a card down in front of all of us. Once she gives Brady his card (she saved his for last), I quickly peak at my card, the king of hearts. I'm the mafia. I see Brady let out a frustrated groan at his card. He's probably a townsperson.

       "Does everyone know who they are?" we all nod. "Go to sleep" all of us close our eyes and lower our heads.

     "Mafia raise your head," I raise my head and open my eyes. Courtney sighs. "Who do you wish to kill?" I can do one of three things at this moment, go for Brady since I said I'd go for him, just randomly choose someone, or I could frame someone to make it look like it's them. I opt for the third option by gesturing my head discreetly towards Lexi.

     Everyone is going to think it's Chance. Their personalities always clashed, which made it even more surprising when they started dating. She had never shown any interest in him, and then suddenly they were dating. I was actually going to ask her out before then, but I can't now that she's Chance's ex. Plus, they had a messy breakup.

       "Are you sure?" Courtney asks. I nod and lower my head. "Doctor raise your head." The doctor must raise their head because she continues talking. "Who do you wish to save?" Silence. "Are you sure?" After a short pause we can all raise our heads.

      "In the middle of the night, the mafia stuck, and sadly, they have taken Lexi from us," Courtney reaches across the circle to grab Lexi's card. "Do we have any accusations?"